Did you mean: 

Seeking +45k CSR CLI @ 6 mos

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Seeking +45k CSR CLI @ 6 mos

@Aim_High wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

If you go with a charge card, you don't need to worry about UTIL.

True @imaximous, but something OP should consider is that as a new charge card customer, the spending limit may be inhibited for larger charges like the plan for tuition.  So a charge card might not work for this purpose until a relationship and spending habits are established.

That's very true. The charge cards can be unpredictable even for existing customers when there's no pattern of large spending. I was thinking more in terms of picking up a SUB and the UTIL concern that I forgot about that.

(In my head, I was already thinking of splitting that charge and using different new cards for multiple SUBs, but don't listen to me Smiley LOL )

Message 11 of 19
SimpleFogey

@imaximous wrote:

(In my head, I was already thinking of splitting that charge and using different new cards for multiple SUBs, but don't listen to me Smiley LOL )

I like the way you think.  My head hurts, but I like it.  @Hoben02 's suggestion for CFU isn't bad.  I can combine Ultimate Rewards & pick up a $200 bonus.  With the CLI that's likely HP 3 & 4 unless I can get them to combine somehow in branch. 

I don't have to have this figured out for another 2 weeks or so.  DOC has a CFU addtional 1.5% (3.0%) all categories up to 20k 1st year, with 4.5% on dining, a large volume for us.  I'd like to diversify issuers some.  CSR / CFU / Amazon (DW) feels a bit Chase heavy.  

Thank you all.

Message 12 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SimpleFogey wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@SimpleFogey wrote:

Greetings all:

Kid's school now uses provider that will accept CC payments.  I sense a UR opportunity here!  6 month anniversary with CSR is May.  SL $12,500 / 16.49% APR*.  It's a $15k charge.  To keep utilization below 30%, planning on seeking increase to $57k.   Any suggestions to improve odds of such a large CLI?  Wait ~2wks until anniversary date and visit in branch, or phone?

High water mark is ~$3400, 27% for sub benefit.  Current utilization 16%  $2k / month in recurring spend, PIF.   Daily checking & mortgage with Chase ~15yrs.  Two other cards at or near zero: Amex Clear (Blue?) (22yrs) $19200, credit union (23yrs) $12500. INQ: 1(CSR)/6   2(PLOC,CSR) /12.  FICO 8 Bankcard EQ:821 TU:833 EX:797

Future card plans: Samsclub World Mastercard Elite for 5% gas.  Amazon Card for DW for 3-5%.  Late to the earning rewards benefit drill.

*Interestingly app screen in branch showed 15.something% before crash and session reload.

Hi @SimpleFogey - welcome to the forums.

That's a pretty high CLI aspirational goal for Chase. Unfortunately, it's doubful they will CLI to $57K with your present limit even if you decide to wait until your card has hit its anniversary.  Keep in mind it will be HP if you're ok with that.

I see that you've listed some CCs with fairly decent limits, do you have any others (not listed above) that are above $30K, $40K or even $50K?

Thank you for the welcome.  Been lurking a while trying to take it all in.  I am very grateful for everyone's lessons.

No, those are it.  Take home income $90k.  Mortgage bal <10k. No other debts. 

HP would be 3/24.  Only planned Chase involvement in the future might be the Amazon Visa, unless there's a better choice for cashback with Amazon.  If I may ask, what are the tiers of credit score impact for the utilization percentages?  As you wrote, +45k is, politely stated, aspirational.   Let's say they double it on the low end.  That's 60-68% utilization on a single card and ~30% TCL for a day or two while payments post. What might that look like in terms of score impact for how long?

It wouldn't affect your score at all unless that's the balance the day the statement cuts. If you pay it off before the statement cut it won't be there at all.  Also, with Chase, as soon as you pay it down to zero they report the zero balance. So I think your fear of high utilization is unwarranted.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 13 of 19
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Chase does allow a cardholder to temporarily exceed their CL without a fee or penalty with the caveat that at a mininum the entire overage must be paid back before the current statement period closes.  A $15K balance on a card with a $12.5K limit would fall within their customary guideline although you would need to be prepared to pay more than $2500 back immediately so that the statement balance is less than $12.5K.  If this is a senario where you already have the cash in hand and are just looking to get a little something back by leveraging the card this is a possibility - you may want to call Chase and discuss with a CSR.

If a high balance reported your scores would take a temporary hit because of the high utilization but when you paid off the entire current balance of the card i.e. balance is $0 Chase will automatically report the $0 balance off-cycle and your scores will rebound.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 14 of 19
bigseegar
Established Contributor

In a very polite way Smiley Happy I'm going to be a tad more blount than others but certainly not meaning it disrespectful in any manner. I just don't like to receive false hope myself based on very, very long shots and I assume others wouldn't either really. As to the CLI to $57K or even a new card with a CL of $57K I'd venture a guess that there's less than a 99.5% chance thats going to happen for you (and esp not with Chase and a CLI jump that huge at only 6 months) with no other past credit card experience any where near that number and more importantly with a salary of only $90K (even at take home) even with a 800+ score. That's of course a good salary and $57K TOTAL on credit cards and even more is no issue at that salary. But not for a single unsecured $57K credit card it isn't from a card issuers view in MOST cases, even though in that slight few 0.5% I'm sure it's happened. But if we're unstanding your question right it's only about UTL and UTL for a very short period of time as you said you would make multple payments in that first month. So as others mentioned as long as you PIF before the statement closes then it won't effect you UTL at all. But even more so even if you don't PIF right away and it hits your UTL any credit score loss will be regained when you do pay it off. If your reasoning behind the UTL is because you want to apply for those other cards that solution is simple. Apply for them now before you make that charge. Plus approval and new CL on those would help your total UTL as well. In any even good luck with whatever you decide to do and WELCOME!

Message 15 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SimpleFogey wrote:

Greetings all:

Kid's school now uses provider that will accept CC payments.  I sense a UR opportunity here!  6 month anniversary with CSR is May.  SL $12,500 / 16.49% APR*.  It's a $15k charge.  To keep utilization below 30%, planning on seeking increase to $57k.   Any suggestions to improve odds of such a large CLI?  Wait ~2wks until anniversary date and visit in branch, or phone?

High water mark is ~$3400, 27% for sub benefit.  Current utilization 16%  $2k / month in recurring spend, PIF.   Daily checking & mortgage with Chase ~15yrs.  Two other cards at or near zero: Amex Clear (Blue?) (22yrs) $19200, credit union (23yrs) $12500. INQ: 1(CSR)/6   2(PLOC,CSR) /12.  FICO 8 Bankcard EQ:821 TU:833 EX:797

Future card plans: Samsclub World Mastercard Elite for 5% gas.  Amazon Card for DW for 3-5%.  Late to the earning rewards benefit drill.

*Interestingly app screen in branch showed 15.something% before crash and session reload.

With your income and score/profile I would branch out with other lenders like a big CU  . You can get big starting limits  on some reward cards that also offer 0% promos. To wit many people are getting big sl on the new WF 2% cb card that is a nice card to have. Always a risk as sl is never guaranteed for anyone but you have optionsSmiley Happy

Message 16 of 19
SimpleFogey

Update 5/13/22 Re: Seeking +45k CSR CLI @ 6 mos

@Hoben02 wrote:

Why don't you apply for the cfu better card to use for that type of payment and will give 1.5x vs 1x

Greetings,

Went in branch today, just after 6m CSR anniversary for CLI and CFU app (+1.5% on 1st $20k or 12mo).  My goal was to combine requests for one HP.

Asked and received CLI inc to 22.5k, was preapproved to 17.5.  Obviously incurred an HP for the CLI.

CFU offer not available in branch.  I logged in on Chase offer site, applied and received the 7-10 day notice.  

Partial success.  I guess I call the reconsideration line next.

Thanks to all.

Message 17 of 19
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Update 5/13/22 Re: Seeking +45k CSR CLI @ 6 mos

@SimpleFogeywrote: Went in branch today, just after 6m CSR anniversary for CLI and CFU app (+1.5% on 1st $20k or 12mo).  My goal was to combine requests for one HP. Asked and received CLI inc to 22.5k, was preapproved to 17.5.  Obviously incurred an HP for the CLI. CFU offer not available in branch.  I logged in on Chase offer site, applied and received the 7-10 day notice. 

Congrats on the CLI. I'll be interested to hear what the outcome of the pending application is. I know I hit an internal limit with Chase that was lower than I anticipated it being. I wonder if the pending app is because you are currently close to your internal limit with them, since you just received a higher CLI than you were preapproved for. I'll watch for an update, fingers crossed you are able to get CFU as it's better for general spend - it's how I'm currently paying tuition for my oldest. There is a $40 fee for setting up the recurring payments, but the value of the points earned far outweight that.

Message 18 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Update 5/13/22 Re: Seeking +45k CSR CLI @ 6 mos

As the OP has provided an update on their CLI request/approval, this thread is now locked and closed to new messages.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.