Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick is BS!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping Cart Trick is BS!!!!

I recently applied for a Wayfair Credit Card after reading numerous posts about "The Shopping Cart Trick" At Checkout there was a pop up to apply for their credit card. And sure enough it only asked me for the last 4 of my social. But it gave me a 7-10 message and immediately I was notified through my credit monitoring that I had a hard pull through Equifax. The only reason I tried was because from what I read was that Comenity Bank only does soft pulls through this method. So I would beware if you are going to be applying for Comenity Bank CCs thinking it's a soft pull. My Equifax score dropped 4 points because of it, and I wasn't really wanting the card that bad. Just thought it would be useful for furniture purchases. If I would have known it was a hard pull I would have put it off.

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick is BS!!!!

Sorry to hear. But its a good lesson to learn that never fully trust a card will be sp when applying even if its a general conception. Its always a risk of hp when applying for credit and if the risk is too much , dont apply. The sct is kind of trap some times in that it gets people to apply but then later on can be a downfall for many.
Message 2 of 46
lexus829
Contributor

I tried Overstock last month cause wifey shops there and it works gave me $3k.... no HP...

Havent tried wayfair , Total rewards visa nor William Sonoma Visa yet .. the only ones im interested in...lol

11/2016 - EQ(575)/TU(550)/EX(565) Current - EQ(675)/TU(680)/EX(678) Goal – 700

Message 3 of 46
TheVig
Regular Contributor

No matter the scenario, always expect a HP regardless of credit card and who issues it, and be joyful when it turns out to be a SP.
Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im a huge opponent of the shopping cart trick for many reasons, but I will stay on topic. 

A good general rule to follow: if it's not a card you are willing to take an hp to get, don't get it. 

I will admit, at the beginning of my rebuild, I was SO tempted because I wanted more lines of credit, but I kept going back to the rule in my head. One year later, im so thankful I stood firm. 

Message 5 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it said you were pre-approved it would have been a SP more than likely, but if it was just a pop up asking you to apply then it would have been a HP. Did it specifically say you were pre-approved?

Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied for a Wayfair Credit Card after reading numerous posts about "The Shopping Cart Trick" At Checkout there was a pop up to apply for their credit card. And sure enough it only asked me for the last 4 of my social. But it gave me a 7-10 message and immediately I was notified through my credit monitoring that I had a hard pull through Equifax. The only reason I tried was because from what I read was that Comenity Bank only does soft pulls through this method. So I would beware if you are going to be applying for Comenity Bank CCs thinking it's a soft pull. My Equifax score dropped 4 points because of it, and I wasn't really wanting the card that bad. Just thought it would be useful for furniture purchases. If I would have known it was a hard pull I would have put it off.

Like the poster above mentioned, if it says pre approved, should be a SP. If it is an offer to apply, will be a HP. I got the SCT pop up on Wayfair for pre approval and was approved for 2k with a SP.

Let me also reiterate what many have said....only get a card you plan to use. I order from Wayfair so this card made sense for me. Plan to use it to pay for a few orders a year, PIF and hopefully the CL will grow.

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked all 3 bureaus? Overstock asks for the entire SS number. Wayfair only asks for the last 4. I've never had a hard pull done without supplying my full social until now. Do you have any other Comenity Cards? 

Message 8 of 46
peghede
Valued Contributor

well m8 hope u get the card since now u have hp,

Message 9 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

The members of this site, me included, blew up the SCT secret and forced Comenity to re-think their whole strategy.

I once had 12 Comenity cards, I now have two Comenity cobranded cards.  As soon as I make a $100 PIF on my Total Rewards Visa that one's gone also.

Last Comenity SCT I tried was Boscovs.  It said I was "pre-screened".  Never had seen that terminology before.

Comenity helped me obtain a thick credit file to get all the major bank CCs I could ever want.

I can't believe I even went after the Wayfair, Lenovo, HSN, or Eddie Bauer cards but I did.  I turned it into a positive experience.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.