cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Credit History: Should I Get New Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short Credit History: Should I Get New Cards?

Hi All! This is my first post on the forums Smiley Very Happy

Firstly, I would like to thank all the contributors to this forum as the informed and intelligent advices helped me obtain 3 credit cards when I first started having credit. As an international student, I had no idea if I was even qualified but this forum educated me very well about how the US credit system works.

The 3 accounts that I have:

BoA Travel Rewards (opened 9/23) $500 SL

CapOne Journey Rewards (opened 6/29) $300SL, CLI to $800, Auto Increased to $1300 (3 months ago)

Discover Chrome (opened 7/01) $1250SL, Auto Increased to $1750 (2 months ago)

AAoA ~= 8 months

I keep my credit utilization ultra low (<2%) even though I use my cards everyday by paying when it shows up on the account but still leave some to close.

EX: 713 (Fico 8)

TU: 742 (VS 3)

EQ: 742 (VS 3)

So my itching fingers have been craving to apply for new cards. I'm looking at Chase Freedom Unlimited, Barclays Arrival/CashForward, perhaps an Amex or Citi card.

When I first started apping for cards, when I tried Chase and Barclays, they told me that they would reconsider my application after 6 months of history. The Barclays guy was also incredibly nice as he tried to push my app through without history.

Possible or wishful thinking?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Short Credit History: Should I Get New Cards?

Have you tried the prequal sites for those lenders? 

Message 2 of 9
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Firstly, I would like to thank all the contributors to this forum as the informed and intelligent advices helped me obtain 3 credit cards when I first started having credit. As an international student, I had no idea if I was even qualified but this forum educated me very well about how the US credit system works.

CapOne Journey Rewards (opened 6/29) $300SL, CLI to $800, Auto Increased to $1300 (3 months ago)

AAoA ~= 8 months

I keep my credit utilization ultra low (<2%) even though I use my cards everyday by paying when it shows up on the account but still leave some to close.

So my itching fingers have been craving to apply for new cards. I'm looking at Chase Freedom Unlimited, Barclays Arrival/CashForward, perhaps an Amex or Citi card.

When I first started apping for cards, when I tried Chase and Barclays, they told me that they would reconsider my application after 6 months of history. The Barclays guy was also incredibly nice as he tried to push my app through without history.

You have very new history and 3 new cards. Had you not applied for the BOA Travel Rewards and were thinking about apping now, I would've told you yes, apply for 1(!) more cards of your choice but by applying for that third one in Sept that pretty much reset the progress you've made on your AAOA back by a bit. Your AAOA is about 7 and a half months. The more often you apply without giving the cards time to grow on their own (both in age and in credit limit) the smaller your limits will be. If you can wait until August and keep doing like you're doing (keeping util low, paying everytime on time, etc) you will pretty much have access to any card you could want. And in August, I'd at most only apply for 1 card as apping for 3 will, once again, set your AAOA back by quite a bit.

P.S. Hit the LUV button (credit limit increase) on your Cap1 and Discover cards today. I think you'll get a nice surprise on at least one of those. Smiley Wink

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 9
jbsea
Established Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AAoA ~= 8 months

You have very new history and 3 new cards. Had you not applied for the BOA Travel Rewards and were thinking about apping now, I would've told you yes, apply for 1(!) more cards of your choice but by applying for that third one in Sept that pretty much reset the progress you've made on your AAOA back by a bit. Your AAOA is about 7 and a half months. The more often you apply without giving the cards time to grow on their own (both in age and in credit limit) the smaller your limits will be. If you can wait until August and keep doing like you're doing (keeping util low, paying everytime on time, etc) you will pretty much have access to any card you could want. And in August, I'd at most only apply for 1 card as apping for 3 will, once again, set your AAOA back by quite a bit.

P.S. Hit the LUV button (credit limit increase) on your Cap1 and Discover cards today. I think you'll get a nice surprise on at least one of those. Smiley Wink

I was going to say what Secretazure said but not nearly as well Smiley Happy

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AAoA ~= 8 months

Extremely well said. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@jbsea wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AAoA ~= 8 months

I was going to say what Secretazure said but not nearly as well Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

Extremely well said. Smiley Happy

I'm sure that Yes-Its-Me or Irish80 or any of the other veterans could do a better job but thank you for the kind words. Some might say my advice is too conservative but I like getting approved for big amounts. A card with a  $1-2K limit serves me very little. And don't even get me started on APR's not at the lowest possible for the card. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're having 3 cards, it's the best time to grab 2 Chase cards, if you want. I would like to recommend Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. After that, you can apply cards from other banks.

Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AAoA ~= 8 months

I think you're in good shape to add 1 card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I woulld apply for the Amex Everyday. Amex tends to like thin files and they grow exponentially.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.