Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply For Amex Gold Or No?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Apply For Amex Gold Or No?

I've been eyeing this card since I started my credit journey. I'm wondering if you all think I have the slightest chance of getting it. I'm definitely going in the garden for 12-18 months but I need this card before I leave. My EX is my lowest score at 667 as of now but it should go up soon. I do have a 1 collection for something that's not even accurate ( I been writing letters to the collection agency and they won't even communicate back because they know I don't owe them ). Other then that my DP's are

100% on time

14% Util (Should go to 9% any day now)

8 inq (3 are within 6 months)

3 New accounts(1 is Amex Delta Gold 1k SL)

60k Annual

I did pull the trigger for Amex Gold when I got the Delta Gold but was denied. My score is a bit better now so I kinda want to try my luck. Let me know and be honest, no hard feeling here. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Should I Apply For Amex Gold Or No?

How recent is that collection? If you already tried for an Amex and got denied, I'd hold off if I were you. Even though supposedly their charge cards are a little easier to obtain, a previous denial doesn't bode well. Neither does a $1k SL revolver. Generally, if you got approved for a revolving Amex with a $1k SL, that means you just barely got in. Also your score is rather low for an Amex, IMO.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 13
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

I'd hold off, ideally until you get that collection sorted out. You can also see if the 9% utilization gives you a bump in your Ex but I'm guessing your scores will be worthy of the gold card once that collection drops. 

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been eyeing this card since I started my credit journey. I'm wondering if you all think I have the slightest chance of getting it. I'm definitely going in the garden for 12-18 months but I need this card before I leave. My EX is my lowest score at 667 as of now but it should go up soon. I do have a 1 collection for something that's not even accurate ( I been writing letters to the collection agency and they won't even communicate back because they know I don't owe them ). Other then that my DP's are

100% on time

60k Annual

I did pull the trigger for Amex Gold when I got the Delta Gold but was denied. My score is a bit better now so I kinda want to try my luck. Let me know and be honest, no hard feeling here. 

The underwriting is not that stringent for it; they like getting that fat annual fee.  So if you really really want it, go for it. What do you have to lose?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP

Unfortunately, declines begat declines. IMHO, you should probably trek on over to the garden now, especially since both NFCU and the AmX Gold declined you. It's just time to take a break from applying for cards. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 13
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

100% on time

60k Annual

No need to write a letter to the collection agency.  You need to dispute it with the reporting credit bureau. 

A few years ago, I refused to pay a $120 bill from a doctor visit I had where he basically told me he couldn't help me (re. a raised bump on my shin), charged me for the office visit which I paid that day, then this undisclosed $120 bill came in the mail.  It was the only thing tarnishing my credit.  And, yes, it was only $120.  But I refused to pay.  It only showed up on one bureau, I think it was Equifax . 

When you dispute a debt with a bureau, the bureau contacts the creditor and the creditor has to supply proof to the bureau that the debt is valid.  If the creditor fails to do so, it is removed from your report.  I disputed my negative item over and over and over.  It took about a year and a half but, eventually, the medical office stopped defending the debt to the bureau and I prevailed.   Negative items on your credit report are easy to dispute.  It can all be done online.  Gather the evidence together that you have showing why the debt is not valid.  You'll be asked to submit it during the dispute claim.  

Good luck.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 13
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Seeing as how you made a post in June, 2020 asking about AmEx and you stated then you had 0 Collections and now you do have 1, one would have to assume thats come about in the last year or less. If that's the case then I'd bet that is the reason for your denial of the Gold Card. Even though you barely got in the AX door with that revolver you got a $1K SL on was that prior to the collection showing up on your reports? No way you need to apply for the Gold again right now. You need to either get that collection off or wait a year or so. AmEx doesn't like collections.

Message 7 of 13
Relatxbles
Regular Contributor

Amex is huge on CO's... I would probably hold off for the time being OP. Let that season a bit and try back in 6-12 months. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

How recent is that collection? If you already tried for an Amex and got denied, I'd hold off if I were you. Even though supposedly their charge cards are a little easier to obtain, a previous denial doesn't bode well. Neither does a $1k SL revolver. Generally, if you got approved for a revolving Amex with a $1k SL, that means you just barely got in. Also your score is rather low for an Amex, IMO.

The CO actually came off today I challenged it because it wasn't mines so my score went up 25 points. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Relatxbles wrote:

Amex is huge on CO's... I would probably hold off for the time being OP. Let that season a bit and try back in 6-12 months. 

It's off as of today but I know it takes a while for Amex to update your scores. I took a month for them to get my new scores. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.