Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply To Penfed now or wait a month

tag
kremonis
Regular Contributor

Should I apply To Penfed now or wait a month

I wanted to apply to Penfed bank account and credit card. Recently had a 17 point drop Credit Karma's VantageScore 3.0, but score is still in the high seven nineties. The reason for the drop is a Bank of America credit card reported a 40% usage. It is now 10% to 15% usage.

Is there a why to get BOA to immediately send the current status of the credit card to the credit reporting agencies without waiting a month for it to naturally report?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply To Penfed now or wait a month

You need FICO scores, not VantageScore numbers. PenFed pulls EQ9. 

Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I wanted to apply to Penfed bank account and credit card. Recently had a 17 point drop Credit Karma's VantageScore 3.0, but score is still in the high seven nineties. The reason for the drop is a Bank of America credit card reported a 40% usage. It is now 10% to 15% usage.

Is there a why to get BOA to immediately send the current status of the credit card to the credit reporting agencies without waiting a month for it to naturally report?

call and request?  Im  going to go our on the limb and say if you got 790 vs scores, your ficos will be just as high so if you want Penfed , now is the time.  They have their guard down right nowSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 15
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@kremonis wrote:

call and request?  Im  going to go our on the limb and say if you got 790 vs scores, your ficos will be just as high so if you want Penfed , now is the time.  They have their guard down right nowSmiley Wink

@AverageJoesCredit 

I just want to open a checking account... I'm not trying to snipe themSmiley LOL

Message 4 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

@kremonis wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit 

I just want to open a checking account... I'm not trying to snipe themSmiley LOL

lol, i sniped and they were snopedSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I can't recall reading any threads that mention BoA and mid-cycle reporting but it can't hurt to call and ask...the worse they can say is no. As for applying now vs. later, I would suggest waiting until the utilization is accurately reporting to increase your chance of approval and better starting limit.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @AverageJoesCredit .  I just established a membership with PenFed yesterday--the basic savings account.  Those starting limits with PenFed are outrageous and really  wouldn't mind having one of their cards right now!  But my Equifax scores leave much to be desired Smiley Wink

@kremonis wrote:

@kremonis wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit 

lol, i sniped and they were snopedSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Remember they use EQ9, not 8. Have you looked at your FICO9 from EQ?

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm.  I have not @Anonymous .  Thank you for the DP.  I will look into my Equifax FICO 9.  Agh, the anticipation!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully it works out. I've seen quite a range of approvals from them recently, from scores running the spectrum from 670s I believe all the WSH into the 800s.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.