cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for AMEX or Discover or wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I apply for AMEX or Discover or wait?

Hello all!
I feel like I’ve been a member for so long because I’ve been on this board for about 3 months doing a lot of credit research.

Let me jump right in.
I’m 24. I got my first CC when I was 20. I lost it, paid it off and closed it. (Now I wish I would have kept it open)

On my credit report:
No derogs at all.
Mortgage (bought my first house a year ago) 1.3 years old.
Car note (1.7) years old. (Would have been 4 years however, I refinanced)
Energy bill (1.3 years old)
Credit one CC $450 limit
Capital one CC $300 limit
I have one 30 day late payment from Aug 2017 and one 30 day from Nov 2017

I currently only use credit karma to check my scores. My TU from CK is 704 while my EQ is 656

What are my chances of getting approved for an AMEX BCE or Discover IT card?

My current UTI is 42% however, I made payments and when the credit bureaus report this month I should be at 13% UTI, which should make my scores go up again.

Should I wait until August to apply? To ensure my score go up again and the one late payment becomes a year old.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I apply for AMEX or Discover or wait?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all!
I feel like I’ve been a member for so long because I’ve been on this board for about 3 months doing a lot of credit research.

Let me jump right in.
I’m 24. I got my first CC when I was 20. I lost it, paid it off and closed it. (Now I wish I would have kept it open)

On my credit report:
No derogs at all.
Credit one CC $450 limit

I currently only use credit karma to check my scores. My TU from CK is 704 while my EQ is 656

My current UTI is 42% however, I made payments and when the credit bureaus report this month I should be at 13% UTI, which should make my scores go up again.

Should I wait until August to apply? To ensure my score go up again and the one late payment becomes a year old.

I would wait til they update your utilization to maximize your approval chances and get a good SL

FICO 08 Scores EX 624 EQ 631 TU 646, Goal 800+
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spend $1 at CreditCheckTotal.com and get your FICO 8 scores from the three major credit bureaus.  Trying to figure out chances of approval based on Vantage 3.0 scores from Credit Karma is just guess work.  Get your real scores then cancel the trial subscription before the monthly fee begins after the 10 day trial.

Don't apply for anything until the credit bureaus update your payment information and your reported utilization is lowered.

Set up Autopay on your current cards to at least pay the minimum amount due on the due date.  There's no reason for late payments when managing only two credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all!

Let me jump right in.

On my credit report:
No derogs at all.
Credit one CC $450 limit

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My late payment was from my mortgage. I work at an elementary school and during the summer (when school is out) and during thanksgiving break was somewhat hard since I wasn’t getting a check every two weeks.

Thanks, I’m going to do that now. I did not want to jump the gun and get denied.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked. My Fico 8 is 732! My current UTI on the site is 15%! This is way better than I expected.
Message 5 of 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

You can check both Amex and Discover pre-approval sites and see what pops up. It's a soft pull. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.