cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for Amex BCP or wait 2 more months?

tag
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Should I apply for Amex BCP or wait 2 more months?

My current file is below. I would love to have the Amex BCP for groceries, but hesitant to apply.

I have no prequaliying offers, but have read people get approved without one.

My 3 current scores are in my sig.

Is 7/12 - 1/6 + My scores good enough to be approved or should I wait 2 months for it to drop to 6/12 - 0/6?

Anyone have experience applying for Amex cards with a similar profile?

My overall Utilization is currently 4%.  In two to 3 weeks it may jump to 14%. So if I'm going to app early it's probably best to do it while I'm at 4%.

I'm also, currently AZEO, but won't be in 2 to 3 weeks.

Maybe I'm just itching in the garden... either way, it would be a very useful card to add to my file. It would get daily usage and pif twice a month. 

It may curb my app craving for another 4 to 7 months. Smiley Happy 

I don't want another HP if denied.

Note: Amex Gold with 5k was burned back in 1993. Went through x2 collections agencies and fell off my file in 2000. My file went blank until 2020 when I financed a car. Then decided to rebuild with a blank no credit file.

Not sure how long their internal memory is, but its been 25+ years.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Should I apply for Amex BCP or wait 2 more months?

From the info we are privy to, I see no issues.

Message 2 of 20
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

AZEO for a month and once your score goes up few more points you can apply and be sure to get approve.

Message 3 of 20
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

AZEO for a month and once your score goes up few more points you can apply and be sure to get approve.

I'm actually AZEO right now. I'll update that in my post.

Message 4 of 20
Trini88
Established Contributor

When I got the BCP I was 6/6, 6/12, 8/24 on new accounts. Amex saw that I was 4/6, 4/12, 6/24 on new accounts because my SavorOne and Walmart MC had not reported to the bureaus yet. They pulled from Experian which had 12 or 13 inquiries I believe at the time.

Goal Cards:
Message 5 of 20
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Update: I let the itch get the best of me. 

I applied and was denied instantly. They will mail reason within 10 days.

Back to the garden I guess. That was a painful hp I'm sure.

Message 6 of 20
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Are you sure you got a HP?  Sounds like they hit the blacklist first and after your name was on it the process went no further?

Message 7 of 20
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Note: Amex Gold with 5k was burned back in 1993. Went through x2 collections agencies and fell off my file in 2000. My file went blank until 2020 when I financed a car. Then decided to rebuild with a blank no credit file.

Not sure how long their internal memory is, but its been 25+ years.

If anythings might get in the way it's this, even though its been a while, amex doesn't like to forget things. The 725 on EX is good, becuase 99% of the time that is what theyre pulling, however in your case since you have a history with them, they might pull another one also. The Aaoa being 8 months might be tricky as well.

If it was me I would hang around in the garden and rack up payment history on the current cards that you have, none of the cards are even 1 year old. You can certainly get approved without anything on their pre-qual site, but with your current file it might be best to wait, especially because your score might be a little extra sensitive to HPs right now.

If you do decide to pull the trigger and are approved please let us know, these would be great DP's

Good luck!

Edit: Just saw your post about the denial, sorry Smiley Sad, but you'll get em next time.

Depending on the reason in the mail, might be worth a call to recon. If you get around to it and want to post the reasons on the denail letter that would be great!

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 8 of 20
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Update: just got the digital decline reason and it states it's due to them closing my account 25+ years ago with a 5k Balance owed.

Apparently, they have super long memory and unforgiving.

Message 9 of 20
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

Are you sure you got a HP?  Sounds like they hit the blacklist first and after your name was on it the process went no further?

No hp at all after checking. It was definitely a black list full stop incident.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.