cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for Chase and which card?

tag
thatguycx
Valued Member

Should I apply for Chase and which card?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I think I'm pretty much golden on applying for my first chase card but I wanna get more opinions about if I should pull the trigger and which one should I pull the trigger on (if I do).

All scores and other details in this post are directly from myFICO; last updated Dec-17 2019 (yesterday).

Current Fico 8 Scores are 755 from Experian, 762 from TransUnion, and 730 from Equifax. Currently at 3 accounts; one is closed and the other two are open. The one that is closed is an Installment Sales Contract; the other two is a Revolving Charge Account and an actual credit card, so I currently only have one credit card and that card is from my local credit union from a few months ago (opened on September 1, 2019). Current average age of my accounts is 33 months (2 years, 9 months).

Current credit usage is 17% of my $2,900 credit line in total but that has not updated yet since I paid off most of it. Another thing that has not updated yet is the accounts. My membership at MyJewelersClub and my monthly plan at my dentists have not been added to my accounts yet. I can see the hard inquiries from them both, but no accounts from them yet has been added. 

I have no missed payments, no collections, etc. Income around $30K annually.

I'm looking at either the Chase Freedom or the Chase Freedom Unlimited in terms of Chase cards. I'm seeing an offer too for the unlimited card but I'm having trouble deciding which one is better for me. Also, I'm currently already active in the chase system with a checking and a savings (about a month ago). I've been pre-qualified for some other banks too like AMEX but I'm looking at chase for now.

Thoughts on this?
13 REPLIES 13
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for Chase and witch card?

If you want to take a risk, you can take a hard pull. Chase typically doesn't like profiles such as yours. Only one revolver and it's under a year. The scores are good but the profile is not something they typically choose. I have seen approvals, not saying it doesn't happen but it's not very likely.

Discover IT might be a better choice. They have a prequal as well. It is similar to the Freedom.

Message 2 of 14
mrfufoppss
Frequent Contributor

check their prequal page..you should get approved i see no reasons why not to

AOD FCU PLOC 10,000
NAVY FED CLOC 3000

Message 3 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I am heavy into Chase but didn't do so as early in my profile, so hard for me to compare.  From what I have seen, it looks like you would be on fence - could go either way.  The problem with that is if you apply too early for any card, you can get approved but with a lower starting limit or higher APR than you would have gotten if you had waited a little longer. 

Pros

You have banking with Chase. *Big tie-breaker, IMO.

You're seeing (I assume a prequalifed offer) for CFU on Chase website?

Scores appear solid 755-762-730

(*note: thin file scores can be misleading for approval odds.)

AAoA overall is starting to thicken at 2 yrs; 9 mos.

Cons:

Your overall credit file is very thin and new.

Your banking relationship with Chase is only a month old.

You have only one credit card in your file.

Your only credit card is only three months old.

Income might be a concern for them to give a strong limit,

depending on total debts and housing payment.

17% usage on your only credit card might be a concern.

Personally, I think waiting a little longer will give you more satisfactory results.  Chase is a pickier lender.  They like more established credit files, more demonstrated experience with credit.  Waiting will give you better approval odds, more solid approval with better SL and APR.  Let that lower utilization report and stabilize on your one credit card.  Give the payment plans you mentioned time to show up (although they may not report at all.)  Let your Chase banking age a little longer and make sure you use the accounts regularly.  I would consider opening one other credit card account before applying to Chase just to thicken your file.  Let your accounts age six months to a year.  Discover and Capital One are both good lenders to get cards with thinner files but there are others more agreeable to new files than jumping in with Chase too quickly.

Between CF and CFU, they're both good cards.  If you don't have a good flat-rate card, the CFU with 1.5% cashback on anything you buy is a pretty good starter card.  (The 5% categories on CF can also be good but depends more on your spending patterns and you only get 1% on everything else.  I think a higher 1.5% flat-rate card might give you better overall results now.)  Later, if you decide to get the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve, the CF or CFU can become part of the trifecta for you.  It's a great combo when you pool the UR points together.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 14
thatguycx
Valued Member

I did get a mail offer from Capital One for their Platinum Card so I may go with them first. I just didn't wanna push and get close to 5/24. And I'm guessing I was pre-approved for the Chase Unlimited, it was under the offers page on the app; however, when I go to the pre-qualification link it says there's no offers since it might be because I'm not opted-into prescreened offers. But I did go to https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ to opt in a few days ago if that was the case. And that 17% usage is from my credit as a whole, not on just the credit card. 

Message 5 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@thatguycx wrote:

I did get a mail offer from Capital One for their Platinum Card so I may go with them first. I just didn't wanna push and get close to 5/24. And I'm guessing I was pre-approved for the Chase Unlimited, it was under the offers page on the app; however, when I go to the pre-qualification link it says there's no offers since it might be because I'm not opted-into prescreened offers. But I did go to https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ to opt in a few days ago if that was the case. And that 17% usage is from my credit as a whole, not on just the credit card. 

That Capital One Platinum is probably a safer move for your profile.  You'll be fine with 5/24; just don't go app-crazy with more cards.  With a thin file, just think about it as applying for no more than one card every six months to be safe.  Let the Platinum and your credit union cards age (and use them monthly but pay balances after statement cuts to show usage).  Have utilization under 9% when you apply with Chase, but I would give it a year or so. And continue to show financial responsibility and usage with your Chase banking.  You'll be in a strong position when you apply later.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 14
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Bait and switch thread title! I thought there was going to be a new "witch" card designed for those that practice the dark arts lol
All joking aside here are a few thoughts to consider:

"Revolving Charge Account" is that a store card? If so how old is it as it will count against 5/24.

From my understanding, MyJewlers account will be a revolving account and will count against 5/24.

You mentioned something about your dentist, is that Care Credit or just a random in house financing? If it is Care credit it will count against 5/25.

From what you have posted you may already be up to 4/24. If I was you and really wanted a chase card I would not apply for a capital one card just because you got a mailer for it.

The best thing you can do is apply for nothing until your profile is old/strong enough to get the cards that are actually useful for your spend.
Message 7 of 14
thatguycx
Valued Member

**bleep** I didn't even notice that typo until just now lol

But that open Revolving Charge account is from Fingerhut. It's not a store card, it's a website where you buy now and pay later. At first if you're new to them, they check your credit then have you pay a deposit for whatever it is you wanna buy on their website (like electronics, clothes, etc). Once you pay the deposit, the rest will be due monthly. After a certain point once you've been paying it off on time, they'll graduate you to where you don't have to pay any deposit at all for their stuff. Just place the order and then they'll update your account with a minimum that you have to pay at least and give you a credit limit as you grow with them. That's where I'm at with them right now. I don't have any cards from them, it's all strictly online. After I "graduated" since I'm guessing that's why the loan part of them closed, the revolving account that I have with them now was opened Feb 2016.

The dentist is Aspen dental for a plan that will have a monthly minimum, so the minimum at least has to be paid but I can pay it off early if I want. When they ran my credit, and gave me a limit.

Message 8 of 14
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@thatguycx wrote:

I would go for the Discover IT card before the Capital One unless you plan on using the card much out of the country and don't have another no FTF and VISA\MC. 

The Capital One card is good for rebuilds for people with worse credit. I think you can probably do better long term. The Capital One card if approved at a low limit has a possiblity of not growing and in a year you will be like, can I close this card? Do you have any other banking relationships? 

Now is a great time to find a good credit union you are eliglbe for, start building that relationship and see what card offers they have down the road. What state are you in?

Message 9 of 14
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

+1 to Chase not liking thin files. I've had checking with them over a decade but I'm waiting possible 2-3 years before I start app'ing for the trifecta because I'm thin and my limits are low. Ideally you want your SL to be 5k+ so you fall into the visa signature bucket. If you don't already have limits at or above 5k you're gambling. It's definitely worth waiting and building up your history and limits first.

I wouldn't get the cap1 platinum if you already have history, it's meant for rebuilding/starting, no bonuses and there are better no FTF cards. The quicksilver (QS) seems to be in a lot of people's wallets here, see if you're preapproved?

WF Propel is nice if you spend a lot on dining/gas/travel 3x categories(no rotating), this is what's tiding me over until I can get signature versions of Chase cards. No FTF and no AF.

Discovers SUB matches cash back earned for the first year, but rotating categories.

Before I knew anything about credit the first card I ever app'd for was CFU, with no real credit history Chase was very kind and only hit me with a SP and a letter saying my score was 604 + a laundry list of reasons why I wasn't even worth a HP(even though I had 10+ years banking history). My first card was a cap1 platinum w/ $300 SL.

I'm personally waiting before I start app'ing for my first Chase card because I want it to be visa signature and get a good SL. Hope this info helps your decision
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.