cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I bother applying for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express?

tag
kremonis
Regular Contributor

Should I bother applying for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express?

I want to open a high yield savings account with a credit union that allows about $1200 in credit card funding.
The Wells Fargo Propel card has a $200 SUB for $1000 spend in three months. Wells Fargo Propel could be used to fund the savings account.

But I am not sure I should apply based on mixed reviews.

Here are some details:

I successfully applied for a BOA and Chase credit cards in May of this year.
Fico is 816 at Transunion and Equifax according to CreditKarma.com. 790 At Experian

Average credit age is 6.5 years
Oldest credit card 23 years
Yougest credit card 3 months

Hard inquiries:
Transunion: 1 last May 2019
Equifax : 1 last June 2019
Experian : 3 Two this year and one May of last year

Relationship with Wells Fargo is this:
I opened a checking and savings account in the mid 90's with a bank the was bought out by Wellsfargo.
They are my main bank witch I pay my bills from and keep about $7k in there.
I also have the Wells Fargo Cash Wise credit card for 2.5 years and SL $1000. But it never gets used. The credit limit is still $1000 to this day.

As of this moment all  of my credit cards have a zero balance on CreditKarma. Also, I just paid off my car note about a week ago. No late payments ever.

Based on this profile should I bother to apply?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I bother applying for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express?

Banking with them helps a lot, I'd go for it

Does your CU allow Amex CC funding?

Message 2 of 13
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Banking with them helps a lot, I'd go for it

Does your CU allow Amex CC funding?

**bleep** your are right. They don't Take Amex. But I still want the the card.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kremonis go for it : )

Message 4 of 13
ccquest
Established Contributor

Just a note that Credit Karma shows Vantage Score, not FICO. Don't know whether the Experian one you mentioned is an actual FICO or not, depends where you got it.

I think with the relationship and good scores, you should have a decent shot at getting it, maybe lower since the two new accounts are pretty recent though. I've also seen people mentioning it in combination with the WF Visa Signature card for 1.5x point value on travel purchases if you want to round it out with that down the line.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You're going to want to very carefully read the Propel's T&C as well as confirm exactly how the credit union is going to code that $1200 charge before go down this path.     You don't want to go through this and learn after you pull the trigger that the way the charge was coded makes it ineligible to count against the Propel's SUB spend requirement. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 13
ccquest
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

You're going to want to very carefully read the Propel's T&C as well as confirm exactly how the credit union is going to code that $1200 charge before go down this path.     You don't want to go through this and learn after you pull the trigger that the way the charge was coded makes it ineligible to count against the Propel's SUB spend requirement. 

Or even as a cash advance!

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 7 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@ccquest wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Or even as a cash advance!

Cash Advance was what I was thinking too! ...Ughhhh

Message 8 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I want to open a high yield savings account with a credit union that allows about $1200 in credit card funding.
The Wells Fargo Propel card has a $200 SUB for $1000 spend in three months. Wells Fargo Propel could be used to fund the savings account.

Here are some details:

Fico is 816 at Transunion and Equifax according to CreditKarma.com. 790 At Experian

Hard inquiries:

I opened a checking and savings account in the mid 90's with a bank the was bought out by Wellsfargo.
I also have the Wells Fargo Cash Wise credit card for 2.5 years and SL $1000. But it never gets used. The credit limit is still $1000 to this day.

As of this moment all  of my credit cards have a zero balance on CreditKarma. Also, I just paid off my car note about a week ago. No late payments ever.

If that profile cant score a WF credit card i dont know what would🤔 One thing to consider wht your other WF still sits at 1k, if you dont use it, they have no incentive to increase it. Being on this forum i assume you have a good income so my vote is go for it and use your CW to help your future cli requestsSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

Here are some details:

Hard inquiries:

Yes @kremonis.

Your profile and history are stronger than mine were when I was approved for the Propel.   However, this was back in 2018...

I would still go for it.  Good luck.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.