cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for the Chase Freedom unlimited??.

tag
rrscott426
Established Member

Should I go for the Chase Freedom unlimited??.

So I recently paid off an account that was in collections and it was removed from my report. My CS immediately went up 43 points to just below 700. Now mind you I still have a BK13 sitting there. I currenty have a CapOne QS and (had) a NFCU secured card. After reading some things here I decided to go for the NFCU platinum card, but was declined. The next morning I checked my NFCU account and noticed that my card was no longer secured and the limit had increased, substantially.

While online I saw an advertisement for a Discover pre-approval so I clicked on it. After entering my data it showed that I was pre-approved. In the past I was declined for a Discover secured card and the reason always stated "bankrupcy" so I figured there's no way this is going to happen, but I did it anyway...to my surprised I got an immeditate approval for the IT card, it will arrive in 3-5 days.

Now my question is should I go for the Chase Freedom Unlimited? I really want that card, as I bank with them as well as NFCU. Any thoughts on if I'm applying for too many cards in a short period of time?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I go for the Chase Freedom unlimited??.

When was your bankruptcy and was Chase included?

Message 2 of 9
rrscott426
Established Member

Filed Ch13 back in Feb 2016, Chase was not included.

Message 3 of 9
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Don't waste the HP, chase will automatically decline if you have a BK on your report
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its unlikely you will be approved for a core Chase credit card.  From reading around the forums it appears that Chase will automatically deny an application with a BK on a credit report.  Other datapoints suggest the soonest they will approve an app with a BK showing is about 4 years and that seems more applicable to their co-branded cards like the Chase Amazon card.  The underwriting for their core cards - the Freedom and Sapphire lines - is much stricter.

Message 5 of 9
rrscott426
Established Member

Okay guys, thanks for the reponses and words of wisdom. I'll hang tight.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your IT card gives you 2% on general spending during 1st year cashback match, CFU with 1.5% would have been useless anyway. Use Discover for general spending (and obviously 10% category) and look for a 2% card for replacement near it's year end (or apply for a new IT card after 12 months).  If you want a Chase, Freedom's 5% category is probably a better fit and pairs well with Discover IT.

Message 7 of 9
rrscott426
Established Member

Thanks for the information!!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your IT card gives you 2% on general spending during 1st year cashback match, CFU with 1.5% would have been useless anyway. Use Discover for general spending (and obviously 10% category) and look for a 2% card for replacement near it's year end (or apply for a new IT card after 12 months).  If you want a Chase, Freedom's 5% category is probably a better fit and pairs well with Discover IT.

+1. Given that there are a number of 2% options available, there's nothing special about the FU unless paired with a Sapphire product.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.