Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I recon US bank again?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I recon US bank again?

First and foremost, this is my first post so apologies if it is in the incorrect thread. I applied for the US Bank cash 365 card on 10/30 and got the 7-10 message. I waited a few days and decided to call the auto line and I got a denial. Today I called UW and an unfriendly guy picked up and gave me a definite no due to too many inquiries. I tried to explain the inquiries but he did not care. US Bank ended up doing a HP so I would hate to have it be wasted. My TU is 730 and EX is 729 with 8k revolving credit. I have 12 inquiries within the past 2 years. Should I bother calling UW again to have the app reconsidered?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Should I recon US bank again?

My understanding is USB does a thorough manual review on most apps anyway so it seems unlikely aa approval for the card is available now.

Do you have any other products with US Bank? Savings? Checking, mortgage or auto loans? Without a prior banking relationship many people find it hard to get a CC from them.

On the other hand, once you have a product or two and they get to know you, the CC availability gets much better.

You have to ask yourself how much you want the US Bank card, and understand it will take some time, and opening some account with them to get started. And that includes limiting other apps to other banks.

One reason to call back would be to see if you can get a secured CC as a way to get started. Whether that means another HP I can’t answer.

GL
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 7
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Unless there is some back-door method that someone knows will persuade underwriting to reconsider, I’m afraid your luck changing their decision is remote.

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, adding to what's mentioned by @NRB525, since you have already called to reconsider the CC application, the manual review is typically final and cannot be overridden.

Essentially, if you call back, you'll get the same response but perhaps worded much nicely.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang I thought my stats were half decent for US Bank haha
Message 5 of 7
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I was pre-approved by them with just 5 inquiries on TU and a 750 score. They still only gave me a $1000 CL.

[2/2019]
Message 6 of 7
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

US Bank can be very difficult to deal with at times.  Last month I applied for both the Altitude Reserve and Premier Line of Credit.  Fico scores were in the 755 range.  I have been banking with them for 12 years.  I was approved for the Altitude Reserve for $5k.  I called the next day to recon, only asked what I would use it for, and was increased to $10k.  However, the Premier Linr of Credit was declined.  According to the letter due to poor or no previous experience.  I have had an overdraft line of credit for the 12 years that I have been banking with them with no issues. According to my banker, this reason is usually due to owing on a past debt, which I did not.  She even contacted 4 different departments where no one found me owing.  Yet the banker, nor the manager, is able to contact anyone in the underwriting department.  It seems once the decision is made, no one can be found to explain the reasoning.  The manager suggested I reapply.  After a double pull, I declined.  

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.