cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I request a CLI if I'm planning on recon in a week?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Should I request a CLI if I'm planning on recon in a week?

So I just began a new job and my salary has gone up by 46% ($50k -> $73k). Definitely a nice step up! Anyway, I was previously denied for the Amex Delta Gold and was planning on calling for recon in about a week, having updated my income and everything. I'm mostly waiting so that I can get as many credit card statements to close as possible, since I've been paying them down to the best of my ability, so that UTL would increase my score before Amex looks at it again.

Presently, my only Amex revolver is my SPG with a low limit of $1000. They're not very fond of me I guess, which is why I didn't get any increase even after 61 days. My hope is that with this income boost they'll be willing to extend more credit.

My question is: if I'm planning on doing this recon, would it be worth it to also hit the LUV button for the SPG? Or should I just keep it the way it is for just a week longer. My rush is that I might have to book an SPG stay soon that can be 1000+ so it would make it easier for me.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I request a CLI if I'm planning on recon in a week?

@mkhan1093 wrote:

So I just began a new job and my salary has gone up by 46% ($50k -> $73k). Definitely a nice step up! Anyway, I was previously denied for the Amex Delta Gold and was planning on calling for recon in about a week, having updated my income and everything. I'm mostly waiting so that I can get as many credit card statements to close as possible, since I've been paying them down to the best of my ability, so that UTL would increase my score before Amex looks at it again.

Presently, my only Amex revolver is my SPG with a low limit of $1000. They're not very fond of me I guess, which is why I didn't get any increase even after 61 days. My hope is that with this income boost they'll be willing to extend more credit.

My question is: if I'm planning on doing this recon, would it be worth it to also hit the LUV button for the SPG? Or should I just keep it the way it is for just a week longer. My rush is that I might have to book an SPG stay soon that can be 1000+ so it would make it easier for me.

Thanks!

If the concern is wanting to put a +$1000 plus charge on your SPG with your current limit, check the spending power on your card to see if they'll allow it to go through.

Message 2 of 5
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Yeah I had thought about that and tried with $1001 as a test but it was only approved for the $1000

Message 3 of 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Hmm, well if that's the case even though spending power ability is not indicative on your CLI potential the fact that they won't allow you to spend beyond your current SL is not good. If I were you if you still want to request a potential CLI on your SPG I'd wait til the recon is done. When was the last time you attempted to request one? Also, what is your current utilization and what type of spend have you put through it?

Message 4 of 5
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

The last time I requested one was on the 61-day mark, which would have been back in June. I actually put over 1000 of spend on it per month, paying off the balance twice per month. So it does see heavy usage. I guess I'll just wait for recon

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.