cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I request to increase credit limit time to time??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I request to increase credit limit time to time??

Is it a good idea to request a higher credit limit on my credit cards every year or so?

I have 6 cards, three with big limits ($30k, $22k, $15k) and 3 with low limits, mostly capital one cards I opened when I was 18.  Limits are $1k, $1k and $2500 and have been the same since I opened them...about 10 years ago.

I should add I don't need the additional credit limit, my cards run $5k-$10k a month and I pay them off, but seeing it it'll increase my score by using less percentage of my available credit

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I request to increase credit limit time to time??

Capital 1 provides increases with a soft pull. No more than 1 increase per 6 month per card is stated rule but there are exceptions.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you request one with Capital one if you do it on a computer it gives you an option to request an amount, if you do it on the mobile app it doesn't give you the option.

Message 3 of 6
disney2
Regular Contributor

I thought Cap 1 was a hard pull on all 3.  If it's a soft pull, I should be asking for increases.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 does HP’s when you apply for a card, not for increases.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outside of Chase - I have not had to ask for a CLI -, they just gave it automatically. some issuers frown upon it.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.