cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait at least 6 months to apply for a 2nd CapOne card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I wait at least 6 months to apply for a 2nd CapOne card?

I have the CapOne Platinum low limit card, and am pre-approved for a QS cash card. I know that most people say wait 6 months between CLI requests but does that also hold for apping for a second card? I’m in my fourth statement month right now. Should I hold off or is it safe enough to app now? I don’t want to app if they’re going to decline due to my current card being too new.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I wait at least 6 months to apply for a 2nd CapOne card?

In the case that you're preapproved I would go for it. My complaint about capital one is they pull all 3 reports but if you're okay with that hit I still think you could very well get approved. Safest bet is 6 months but I like to go with "why not try" if I see a preapproved opportunity.  

Message 2 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly OP, I would wait. Chances are that the longer you wait you'd qualify for better terms such as a decent APR and/or good starting limit based on where you are in your credit journey. While it's great an offer is currently available, it doesn't necessarily mean that you'd have to "bite" right away.

As long as your profile doesn't go in the opposite direction, these pre-approval offers will continue to display from time to time.
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on which, if any card, is offered to you on the pre-qualification site, you might want to get it now or to wait until at least 6 months have passed. The most recent Cap One card I got was a Quicksilver Visa Signature, and when I checked the prequal site over the last 6 months, all I got offered was a vanilla Platinum. However, on my last visit there the other day, I was once again offered a Quicksilver Visa (with very good BT offer), so you might want to take that into consideration.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, all good points. Since I don’t need the card right now, I think I will likely wait on it, she the current cards a little more, and see again in a few months what exactly is available. Much appreciated on the replies.
Message 5 of 21
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the CapOne Platinum low limit card, and am pre-approved for a QS cash card. I know that most people say wait 6 months between CLI requests but does that also hold for apping for a second card? I’m in my fourth statement month right now. Should I hold off or is it safe enough to app now? I don’t want to app if they’re going to decline due to my current card being too new.

Don't do it OP! Cap One limits you to a new card/CLI every 6 months. You'll waste a triple pull.

Read up here and look around at other cards. During my rebuild - I first went with Cap One, then PC'd my Platnium to QS and app'd Disco.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 21
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I doubt they will pull if he is not at 6 months.

However, I have not heard of many being prequal then denied.

OP - just wait a few months, maybe your APR will go down also.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

SomewhereIn505 and Shooting-for-800, both points make sense. I have been thinking about alternate ideas since my last post on here. I like the idea of doing the PC. This card supposedly gives a CLI after the 6th statement cuts, but it’ll likely be crappy. That’s probably a good time to PC it and I imagine that it may only use a soft pull since it should be based at least somewhat on my payments and UTIL, both of which are dead-on where they should be. And yes, rather than getting another subprime card, waiting it out for a better rate and terms definitely makes sense.
Message 8 of 21
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Aww!! The Capone steps program..
1. Don’t apply for another Capone for 6 months. They have a 1 card every 6 months rule
2. They will triple pull you 1st, then they will tell you about the 1 card every 6 month rule.

I found that out the hard way.

3. Ask for a cli before your credit steps kick in. After your credit steps kick in your have to wait 6 months to get approved for a cli

4.Do attempt to PC this card. You should be able to PC it to a QS rewards card and still get a CLI before credit steps kick in.

Good luck on your journey!
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good advice! So in other words, during the 5th billing cycle, call them up and ask for a CLI as well as a PC rather than wait for the puny auto CLI, and see what they’ll do.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.