cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait at least 6 months to apply for a 2nd CapOne card?

tag
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I wait at least 6 months to apply for a 2nd CapOne card?

@Anonymous wrote:
SomewhereIn505 and Shooting-for-800, both points make sense. I have been thinking about alternate ideas since my last post on here. I like the idea of doing the PC. This card supposedly gives a CLI after the 6th statement cuts, but it’ll likely be crappy. That’s probably a good time to PC it and I imagine that it may only use a soft pull since it should be based at least somewhat on my payments and UTIL, both of which are dead-on where they should be. And yes, rather than getting another subprime card, waiting it out for a better rate and terms definitely makes sense.

Use the search box on this forum for the Cap One Upgrade link. You log in and it will tell you if your eligible or not.

Depending on how much you have cycled (and payment history) through your card, there is a chance you’ll be given a steps CLI greater than the amount they emailed you on. I started with Platinum SL $500 (promises $250 CLI to $750) PC to QS around month 4, a few weeks later CLI of $100 (to $600) and ended up with $500 steps CLI with total line at $1100. 

Today my Cap One exposure is $2,200 - the smallest exposure I have with a creditor. I have pretty much SD this card since it hasn’t grow on much as my other cards.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do, thanks for the info 👍
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found the link and checked, said I could upgrade it to a Quicksilver Smiley Happy I did, and it said that the stats for the card including the SL don’t change but it is now a cash-back card so that’s a start. I’m thinking that since I’m only in my fourth billing cycle (which ends Monday) that the CLI will still wait until the 6th cycle. That’s fine but with luck I’ll get the bigger increase like you did. Thank you!
Message 13 of 21
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Awesome!  Great Start!

Should also be a no annual fee card!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 14 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the CapOne Platinum low limit card, and am pre-approved for a QS cash card. I know that most people say wait 6 months between CLI requests but does that also hold for apping for a second card? I’m in my fourth statement month right now. Should I hold off or is it safe enough to app now? I don’t want to app if they’re going to decline due to my current card being too new.

Don't do it OP! Cap One limits you to a new card/CLI every 6 months. You'll waste a triple pull.

Read up here and look around at other cards. During my rebuild - I first went with Cap One, then PC'd my Platnium to QS and app'd Disco.

They won't pull if hes within 6 months, he'll just get a denial with reason being a recent app.

Message 15 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Found the link and checked, said I could upgrade it to a Quicksilver Smiley Happy I did, and it said that the stats for the card including the SL don’t change but it is now a cash-back card so that’s a start. I’m thinking that since I’m only in my fourth billing cycle (which ends Monday) that the CLI will still wait until the 6th cycle. That’s fine but with luck I’ll get the bigger increase like you did. Thank you!

You're eligible for a CLI after 90 days. Take the $100 they offer you and after your payment after the 5th statement, you'll get your steps increase on the 6th statement.

Message 16 of 21
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous job @Anonymous Congrats! You're almost done with steps. Just hang in there and soon more will open up to you!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good - thanks for all the info guys!
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brian, you were right. I’ve been over 90 days with them so I tried it for kicks and they gave me the extra hundred. Now I’ll wait for the auto-CLI after statement #6. Thanks again 👍
Message 19 of 21
jgdev
Regular Contributor

For the credit steps CLI I was told it is 10 days after the 6th statement cuts from a rep(who knows if what they said was true but we will see). I opened my card on 02/08/18 the first statement was 10 days or 02/08-02/18. my 6th statement cuts this month on 07/18 so should see the credit steps increase on 07/28. Hopefully the CLI is bigger than the $200 they said in the original email. I already got $100 around May. I put alot of spend through it and pay in full every month before the statement cuts.

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.