Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, I'm on the Barclays Blacklist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I'm on the Barclays Blacklist?

I apped for an Apple Store credit card (Barclays) and was denied, getting the 7-10 days message recently.  The letter arrived and I was informed the denial was due to a charge-off I had on one of their cards due to a CH 13 BK I did when I lost my business (like an idiot I PERSONALLY guaranteed every corporate credit account we had) back in 2001.  They gave a number to call with any questions and I called it since I'd NEVER had a Barclays card in my wallet that I can recall.  I was married for 23 years (divorced now, thank God!) and I learned throughout the divorce process she had opened many accounts in my name without my knowledge, including (apparently) this Barclays card with a $2500 limit of which Barclays claims $2K was charged off, according to the CSR I spoke to.  I asked how I could clear my name, if even possible, with them to get off their black list.  I was on hold for a few minutes and he came back online to tell me he had passed my side of the story to their "security department" and I would receive both a response in the mail as well as a phone call in the next few days to outline what I must do in order to make myself eligible for Barclays offers again.

Back Story: In those days, I trusted my "soulmate" so much, I never even paid attention to any of the BK paperwork except for the yellow-highlighted places for my initials and signatures she and my (actually, her) lawyer directed me to pay attention to, so I didn't see the Barclays (and about 10'ISH other accounts she'd opened in my name without my knowledge) - LESSON LEARNED, BTW!  I just paid the CH 13 payments loyally, like a good little "soulmate" would.

So, I will update this thread as things develop so anyone else (there has to be at least ONE other person???) in this situation can learn what, if anything, one can do to get off of the Barclays blacklist.  I hope this thread will serve to help at least SOMEONE :-)

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So, I'm on the Barclays Blacklist?

So I have a similar issue. I applied for the Uber card and was instantly denied and got the same letter. They said it was because I had an account with them for an apple card in 2005. I've never had a card with them let alone an apple card. They told me the bank policy is to never allow a card from someone who has wronged them. I told them that it wasn't my account and they told me the only thing I could do is call the collections agency they sold it to, and then have them mark it as fraud and tell barclay that it was fraud account too. Bad news for me. The number they gave me and the agency they sold it to was out of business! I called back to the number on the letter and got someone else. He said if it showed up on my account then they would deny me, but if I wanted a HP I could try for that and see if they could approve me anyways. I let him do the HP and was denied for too many new accounts....go figure. I think I'll call recon on Monday and then garden.

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why even bother with Barclays ? 

I had an Apple card , and I paid off my computer early. I called to close the account and asked if there was any balance ( they said no) and then I closed it. Almost 3 months later they called with with a $3.00 charge that was late ( rolling interest ) I paid it plus a $35 dollar late fee but I argued that since I asked for a total payoff amout it should have been a total payoff amout . The next month I had a 30D ding on all of my credit reports. I called , wrote letter for them to remove it as:

1. it was $3.00 

2. they should own some of the responsiablity when asked for a payoff amount to mention possible rolling interest.

They denied my GW letters so 6.5 years later I still have a 25-30 point ding. 

This is who you want to do business with .. be careful.  I now also have a policy not to do business with companies who wrong me ... 

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why even bother with Barclays ? 

I had an Apple card , and I paid off my computer early. I called to close the account and asked if there was any balance ( they said no) and then I closed it. Almost 3 months later they called with with a $3.00 charge that was late ( rolling interest ) I paid it plus a $35 dollar late fee but I argued that since I asked for a total payoff amout it should have been a total payoff amout . The next month I had a 30D ding on all of my credit reports. I called , wrote letter for them to remove it as:

1. it was $3.00 

2. they should own some of the responsiablity when asked for a payoff amount to mention possible rolling interest.

They denied my GW letters so 6.5 years later I still have a 25-30 point ding. 

This is who you want to do business with .. be careful.  I now also have a policy not to do business with companies who wrong me ... 

Yes I completely agree. Wrong me=see ya!

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like that policy too, nursemanit. I wonder if I can claim fraud too if my ex-wife fraudulently applied for this card as well as many others without my knowledge? I'm guessing not since I signed the CH 13 agreement, even if I were too stupid to see everything on there (but she did a great job of keeping me from even bothering).
Message 5 of 44
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Barclays still has heartburn from me burning them in my BK13 over an old Juniper account.  They have a very long memory and aren't very forgiving.  In the past when I've applied for their product they just auto deny and don't even bother pulling a report.  It's okay...they're done with me and the feelings are mutual.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 44
Gmood1
Super Contributor

That's not a bad list to be on with them. lol
I voluntarily blacklisted myself. They have nothing that interests me in the least. Too many out there to fret over one.
Message 7 of 44
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I like that policy too, nursemanit. I wonder if I can claim fraud too if my ex-wife fraudulently applied for this card as well as many others without my knowledge? I'm guessing not since I signed the CH 13 agreement, even if I were too stupid to see everything on there (but she did a great job of keeping me from even bothering).

If I were you, I'd consult an attorney specializing in fraud cases and see if you'd have any legal recourse at this point. I'm a very vindictive person, and if anybody wronged me like that, believe me when I say I'll go as far as bankrupting myself if it means I can make their lives a living hell for the next 10 years.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 44
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol bankrupting oneself for redemptionSmiley Wink. Newbs beware that is not recommended hahaSmiley Happy

Best way to get off a Barclays Blacklist is set a circle full of candles, sit in the middle, drink a cup of tea, scones optional, and burn a bag of coffee in efigySmiley Wink.

It works, ive done it and im not on any Sr Barclays blacklistSmiley Happy....though to be fair, im not on any list of theirsSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 44
arkane
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol bankrupting oneself for redemptionSmiley Wink. Newbs beware that is not recommended hahaSmiley Happy

Best way to get off a Barclays Blacklist is set a circle full of candles, sit in the middle, drink a cup of tea, scones optional, and burn a bag of coffee in efigySmiley Wink.

It works, ive done it and im not on any Sr Barclays blacklistSmiley Happy....though to be fair, im not on any list of theirsSmiley Wink

I hear putting on a top hat and wearing a monocle improves the odds of success by tenfold. Smiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.