cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So im a member of navy federal now what?

tag
awp317
Frequent Contributor

So im a member of navy federal now what?

So I just joined navy fed thanks to my grand mother who sponsored me (sep 20th official opening day). I put 125k into the checking account just to have money there, that clears tomorrow. I applied for a cash rewards yesterday and was approved for a dismal 5k. It wasn't instant either it took them a day to make that decision. IM really searching for a replacement to USAA after they crashed and burned on me (had a 35k limit with them). I see people having multiple Cards from them as well as the 15k account protection LOC. 

Just looking for suggestions or tips with them. My TU (who they pulled for the card and membership) is 787 right now. I have verifiable high 6 figure income, and I see them handing out 25k limits to people with scores 100 points less than mine (good on everyone however not knocking you all) Just curious to what my next play is here? Should I call and ask for an increase saying the limit given to me is to small? Should I apply for another card (Im eying the signature flagship card)? should I apply for the nav check? all of the above? what order?  Haha sorry IM super new to them and excited to be a part of them. They seem great and what customer service I have dealt with has been wonderful to speak to, they also have a branch within 10 min of my house which is great too. But I was really hoping to get another 50k limit card with them possibly even 80k as I feel my income and stats support it. So I'm at a loss how to continue here. I see on the CLI guide to wait 90 days between CLIs and that some have better luck applying for two cards at once or the nav check, but I'm worried about seeming desperate to them. 

So Should I ask for a CLI on the new card? or should I use it like heck for the next 90 days and hope they increase it. IM pretty sure between the better half and I we can max that puppy out a couple times a month easy.  I really don't want/need nav check but its one of those kinda nice in an emergency situation kinda thing, but would rather have higher limit cards with them than nav check. But if it helped I would do it/use it. IDK newbie to NFCU but they seem like a nice friend to have in the credit world Thanks all. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
17 REPLIES 17
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: So im a member of navy federal now what?

Congrats on the NFCU membership. They're super-nice to talk to, but very pull1happy when it comes to reports.

You can:

Recon the SL with a secure message explaining why you need more limit (don't online request a CLI until there's been an Account Review AFTER your second statement had cut for the best odds of a No HP CLI.)

Wait a week or two for CLOC if you want it. It's a totally different department, and a more generous one in my experience. It reports like a credit card, and WILL be another hard pull to apply. The CC and CLOC folks don't share info directly as far as I can tell.

Apply for the Flagship Rewards, if the 40,000 point bonus is on for minimum spend. Max limit is $80k iirc. Can't recall if they have a one app per X time period rule or not, so hopefully chime in.

Or... swipe like crazy and wait a bit. They DO occasionally auto CLI. Mine was not much but they've extended credit that almost equals my claimed income at this point, but I only claim personal pay stub verifiable income (not household or independent income because I want life to be easy).

I have USAA as well, and NAVY has been more generous... but I did burn USAA for a bit a few years ago.

Good luck!

Oh, and check out the first page of the MASSSIVE NFCU thread in Crdit Applications subforum, Tons of good info there!
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 18
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Ive read several ppl who immediately app for two cards and the CLOC all at one time , that is im sure their scores are strong which yours are. On the massive Navy fed CLI thread CreditAddict recommends waiting until your first card reaches 25k bf apping for the next but of course it's all debatable . Anyways just be preoared to get a good old HP every SINGLE time you app for anything with them lol
Message 3 of 18
awp317
Frequent Contributor

OK so the card finally showed up on my online profile so I submitted a secure message asking for a higher CL. We will see, Until then I'm not doing anything else. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 4 of 18
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Good luck keep us updated
Message 5 of 18
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@Aduke1122 wrote:

Got a message back about 5 pm EST asking for 2 most recent pay stubs. Just submitted them now. I imagine it will be sometime next week before I hear back now since its falling on a weekend. 3 open installment loans I'm sure is hurting me however. 

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@awp317 wrote:

@Aduke1122 wrote:

Got a message back about 5 pm EST asking for 2 most recent pay stubs. Just submitted them now. I imagine it will be sometime next week before I hear back now since its falling on a weekend. 3 open installment loans I'm sure is hurting me however. 

Interested,I am...

Message 7 of 18
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

They do have lenders and UW working weekends there so it may not take that long to hear back , but they have been busy with the influx of new members from the referral program so who knows . Good luck to you . They are very serious about DTI ratios so if the installment loans make that high I'm not sure what will happen . Anyways let us know !
Message 8 of 18
awp317
Frequent Contributor

IM at about 32% DTI currently with all my loans (pre tax income). Mortgage, cars, cards, etc. Its just the cons of one of the free fico score things says having more than 3 installment loans hurts for being "maxed out" So I'm sure I still have plenty of income left. They just might now like the fact I have so many loans. House, 3 car loans and the credit cards. The pay stubs are my after tax income vs gross so IDK which they will use. But I'm  only at 4% UTL on the cards so it shouldn't really be an issue there. But who knows, we will see. 

also in my message, I didn't specify what I wanted the limit to be I just said I was hoping to be more in line with my other trade lines and that at its current limit it wasn't useful to me. IDK if that was a mistake or not, maybe I should have asked for 25-50k haha. I didn't care if they did another HP or not so I didn't mention anything about using the same hp. 

edit also something that's kind of bothering me is that The deposit slip said the money would clear on the 23rd and all that's happened is I went from over drafted 5 dollars to 195 dollars available even though it says the deposit has posted? I don't need the money but am surprised it hasn't cleared by now. The detailed overview doesn't seem to help, am I missing something? It was a certified check from my BB&T account endorsed to myself so its not like I just asked them to trust personal hand written check here. 

Message 9 of 18
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Secure message today said that pay stubs weren't an acceptable proof of income and to submit tax return. The same pay stubs chase was happy with on a 1.3M mortgage refi so who knows. But regardless I did that and will see what happens. Getting pretty annoying to be honest. If they ask for anything else after this I'm going to tell them to forget it. Never had to go through so much BS to get a credit limit raised or even opened for that matter. Chase handed me 50k for their Cards just by asking for it. I guess the only way to get good treatment from them is to go through bankruptcy or something.... kidding. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.