cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sportsman's Guide Pre-approval...take it or leave It?

tag
Jamgal40
Contributor

Sportsman's Guide Pre-approval...take it or leave It?

The other night I was bored so I decided to see if any of the Comenity bank VISA sig cards would pop up for me and I got the Sportsman's Guide Visa to pop up. I didn't take it. Few minutes ago I received a preaproval letter in the mail. With all that I'm hearing about Comenity closing accounts, I'm a bit leary about this one. Any thoughts?

Fico 8 Feb 29 '16: EQ 606| TU 586| EX 617 Currently: EQ 656 | TU 652| EX 686
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sportsman's Guide Pre-approval...take it or leave It?

I would personally pass unless you do camping and the likes where you are able to utilize the card.  If it is just for getting it I would pass and well they are comenity as well and they kinda stinkSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know your credit best. Would you give credit to you? I came on this site a lot and it seems that Sportsman's Guide is one of the safer ones to have. people who lost it lost all of them asthey had excessive accounts, or opened a bunch of accounts with other Banks recently
Message 3 of 6
Jamgal40
Contributor

Thanks to you both. I've made up my mind. this one is going in the shredder ASAP. I have three Comenity cards from stores I shop and that's enough. Plus the APR is not enticing at all.

Fico 8 Feb 29 '16: EQ 606| TU 586| EX 617 Currently: EQ 656 | TU 652| EX 686
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good for you on the decision OP. Doing what is best for you, and makes sense based on your knowledge!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I would personally pass unless you do camping and the likes where you are able to utilize the card.  If it is just for getting it I would pass and well they are comenity as well and they kinda stinkSmiley Happy

Agree with CC 100%. I would not like to see anyone else go through the gymnastics and stress we have seen Comenity put others through on the board. They are too unpredictable, and in my estimation, unprofessional. Smiley Happy

Better fish in the sea. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.