cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Department Federal Credit Union Credit Card question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Department Federal Credit Union Credit Card question?

I applied for the SDFCU credit card and was denied.  I do have one collection, was late on a loan around december last year and have a bunch on credit inquiries this last couple of months.  Should I recon?  Anybody has been successfully getting the card after being denied?  I was just approved for a $13,000.00 car loan with a 5.4 apr.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: State Department Federal Credit Union Credit Card question?

Never any harm in trying to recon, but beware some places pull again for recon.

You could always get their secured cc to start to build history with SDFCU.

Otherwise, I'd wait 6 months/no inqs to try again.  In the meantime, pfd that collection and try to goodwill that late.

Message 2 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'd wait until your lates were at least two years old before tangling with SDFCU again.
Out of all the CUs. You picked one of the most conservative when it comes to CCs.
Stick with the larger banks and CUs for now. Big banks seem less adverse to a dirty file verses small CUs. I know all too well. I've been denied by several of the smaller ones over the years. That's with a clean file.😉
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
I'd wait until your lates were at least two years old before tangling with SDFCU again.
Out of all the CUs. You picked one of the most conservative when it comes to CCs.
Stick with the larger banks and CUs for now. Big banks seem less adverse to a dirty file verses small CUs. I know all too well. I've been denied by several of the smaller ones over the years. That's with a clean file.😉

That being said, I did get a Visa from Apple FCU (Northern VA) last year with a BK on the reports, but then Apple is well-known for being BK-friendly for its relatively small size.

Message 4 of 8
Stryder
Frequent Contributor

I have been with the State department for going on 2 years. I've tried twice to get one and was denied...recon'ed after the second one and they pulled me again and denied. They finally sent me an offer for their card, so I app'ed and got denied...so I'm done with their card.

What I know from working with them is they,  A. don't like new accounts, and B. Don't like inq's

So I found there are plenty of really good cards out there and to pick ones that want your business. 

Message 5 of 8
Namaste7
Established Contributor

While there are not as many threads on SDFCU, what is discussed is consistent:

1. Banking with SDFCU is a long-term strategy and churners need not apply 😂
  2. Preferred profiles: High incomes, high scores, no recent derogs (minimum of 36-48 months), and low DTI. Some applicants have met the preferred criteria but received denials for too much available credit (take this as you may).
  3. Be prepared to provide POI as it is often required.
  4. It may be in your best interest to establish membership and wait for a pre-approved offer if you don't hit all of the criteria highlighted in points #2 and #3. Alternatively, if you reside or work in SFCUs service area, submitting an application via branch *may* be helpful.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 6 of 8
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@Namaste7,

I sure wish I would've seen this post before applying for the SDFCU account and CC.

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 7 of 8
Namaste7
Established Contributor

SDFCU is a community based CU and is a tough cookie to crack. As mentioned in your other thread, there are other CUs and banks that have more favorable underwriting requirements.
~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.