Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State of Denial

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: State of Denial

I would most definitely recommend trying Recon , the worst that can happen is they say no, but I believe you have a pretty strong chance on getting it approved
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Discover It.

I have a very thin profile and only 3 year age of credit, I was approved with a SL of $7000. (Credit cards are 13 months old. Old paid off car loan bumps my age to 3 years)

In my profile is a current car loan, Target card and a card from my bank. Scores 660-680. You can see more of my info here. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-Approval-7000-CL/m-p/4967159

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to see if I can find a number to call and discuss the denial with a human. Outside of that, I've just decided to pay my card off this month, wait a couple months and then go to pre-qual and hope for the best. I think I'd like AmEx ED. It recommends that in the pre-qual site now but I don't trust it yet.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

**Update** Chase denial was based off a charge off that was settled for less from 17 years ago. I couldn't even remember what credit cards I had my Freshman year of college...I just know they didn't end well. Colleges should do their students a favor and have a mandatory class for freshman on understanding credit and personal finance for kids whose parents never did.

Anyhow, now I know that Chase is apparently dead to me. Still going to stick with the same plan.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Chase has a VERY long memory. Doesn't mean you're necessarily dead with them. You could always try recon again with a different person. Be ready to address anything they ask honestly and have a plan for why you want the card you applied for. They let me back in after a 12 year aged mess up. I'd say worth another shot since you already took the HP when you originally applied
Message 15 of 22
joltdude
Senior Contributor

You want to pay it down not pay it off entirely... that said..

Give Discover a whirl... or Amex .... both tend to be amicable to thin files.... Discover may not give you a high SL out the gate but it will eventually grow...

Ditto for Amex.....

=)

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

No BK. The disasters were basically non-payment of a couple Cards and student loans back in like 2002. The cards were settled for less and closed and fell of my report years ago but of course those banks don't forget.

Again, thanks to everyone. This place is such a great resource. My situation hasn't changed but my perception and understanding of it has.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest joining Chase Credit Journey -- it's a free credit monitoring website by Chase and provides a useless FAKO score but they do offer pre-qualification links on there.  I charged off chase for 4 figures in 2008 or 2009 and expected to never be let back in.  I joined Chase Credit Journey earlier this year, and when my TU jumped over 635, I got a prequalification link on that site.  Clicked and approved, even with a hefty charge-off within the past 8-9 years.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just signed up for that Chase Credit Journey. It says my actual score is 799, which I know isn't true as my 1% util hasn't posted yet. Cracks me up though if they thought I had a 799 score, earn 5x my total debt and still couldn't approve.
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You definitely need to recon this. Use the backdoor number listed in the backdoor numbers thread and call them.

I charged Chase off for over $2500 about 6.5 years ago. Still shows on my files too. I was declined for the Chase Amazon Prime Sig Visa and called the recon line and was successfully able to turn it into an approval. So, yours being 17 years ago, this should be an easy recon for an approval IMO. Call the recon line!! Do it!!
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.