Hi everyone. Here's a breakdown of my situation:
- Income: $60K
- Credit score (from TU): 668
- Credit cards: 1 (Capital One Quicksilver with $500 limit, paid in full every month)
- Auto loans: 2 (primary vehicle with $14K balance and 11.3% APR, second vehicle paid off next month)
- Renter or homeowner: Renter
- Hard inquiries: 2-6 depending on which report (a couple of these should be falling off next month)
- Soft inquiries: 7-19 depending on which report
- Derogatory items: One unpaid ($230 from 2014), four paid ($90 total from 2015, paid 2017)
Please let me know if there's any other information that's helpful here.
My goal is to improve my score and to get some rewards when convenient (cash back, travel). Cards that will only improve my score are fine as they will eventually lead me to better rewards cards as well.
Any suggestions on what cards I should be applying for, and how fast?
My TU score is coming from CreditWise (which I get for free from Capital One).
Another note about the hard inquiries which I didn't realize when I wrote my OP. The TU report shows six, but two are for tenant screenings within 45 days of each other, and two are for auto loan approvals within 45 days of each other. So presumably this should only count as four total. With that criteria applied, it looks like Equifax, Experian, and TU show two, four, and four respectively.
Yep, I just did it. I was pre-approved for the It and Chrome cards. I had already read a bit about the It card, so I decided to apply. I got this message:
"We've got your application, but it's still being processed. Once we have a decision you'll be notified in 5-7 days."
Not sure what that means, but hopefully it will get approved.