cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on best options for high credit limit balance transfer card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suggestions on best options for high credit limit balance transfer card?

Thanks Janus, I appreciate the insights, particularly the second point. I'm new at this, but it mystifies me why the credit limit part of balance transfer deals is so opaque. I understand not knowing what I might be approved for when applying, but it seems like there would be some general range like you typically see with personal loan offerings and that an applicant would be able to at least ask for a certain limit.

On another AMEX card, my understanding is that most cc companies won't allow a 0% balance transfer from one their cards to another one of their cards, which makes sense.

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks missliz, not great news but good to know. 

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks (again) Finstar. Fifth Third is definitely in my area, and I believe Huntington Bank is too (though not positive). 

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On another AMEX card, my understanding is that most cc companies won't allow a 0% balance transfer from one their cards to another one of their cards, which makes sense.

True, but it would help with utilization by moving portion of CL from one card to another. 

You seem to have decent scores, so it doesn't appear to be affecting you too much. Perhaps you should just try to pay it down over the course of 12-18 months instead of worring about a BT and then doing the same. Because getting out of debt requires that those two cards stay balance free after the BT, while paying off said debt. 

That said, you might have luck with Discover or even going for a high AF card that generally comes with higher SLs.

Message 24 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Firth Third or Huntington would provide some alternative options, but most definitely Huntington. They have a low rate product and intro rate promotions as well. Their SLs tend to be fairly decent.

Of noteworthy, local CUs can also be lucrative. Some of my higher SLs came from my local ones.
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. For what it's worth, I decided to try the Discover it card, requested a $20K limit, and got $15K. Not perfect, but good enough, and it only costed the single hard inquiry, which was important to me.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.