Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suntrust Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suntrust Mastercard

Last week while making a deposit at my bank (SunTrust), the teller mentioned that I had an offer to apply for a SunTrust credit card.  I told her that I wasn't sure what she meant and her response was that the bank has "offered" me the opportunity to apply.  I was reluctant and told her that I would call back and let her know at a later time.  Here are the reason I passed up the "offer" to apply.  1. I don't have the best credit.  I'm recovering from a chapter 7 bankruptcy.  Currently I have a 670 credit score from Experian and Transunion.  I have about $4,000 in credit card debts and excellent payment history since opening my charge accounts about 4 years ago.  I also have a car loan that I acquired about 3 years ago and that balance is about $13,000. My payment history is also excellent thru that finance company.  I have 2 capital one cc's, 2 credit one cc's, a victorias secret, amex, and a jared card.  My interest rates are ridiculously high for the credit one and capital one cards.  I'd like to apply for the mastercard with suntrust, to transfer the high interest balances to ST card.  BUT I'm afraid to apply only to be denied, then I'm hit with a hard inquiry.  What are my chances at getting approved thru the "offer" SunTrust mentioned to me last week.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Suntrust Mastercard

Their offers seem pretty solid too me. They use your EQ Bankcard FICO 8 score not the standard FICO 8. Yours is most likely higher than the standard. Just for example my standard FICO 8 is 765. My bank card FICO 8 is 786.
They've already soft pulled you. My approval was instant.
I have that card and use it for gas and sometimes groceries until the promotion ends later this year. You get another 10% CB for depositing it in a SunTrust account.
If you go to your online account. The offer should be there for you to apply. If it has a solid APR rate. Your chances are very high of an approval.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't need, i would pass and work on getting the balances down more.

If you're trying to get it for helping your UTL, that would make sense...BUT, i would try with a bank that would give you a high starting CL if this bank is known for not giving those out.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmood1 -  Thanks so much for your feedback.  I really want to get rid of those high interest credit cards.  I've been a faithful suntrust customer for 20 years.  I'm going to think on it a little longer before I make a decision.  Those high interest cards are making it difficult for me to pay them off.  Thanks again for the feedback!

Message 4 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

No problem, I understand!😀
Not much data on the approval amounts. On average looks to be $7500 to $10,000 starting limits. Not the highest, but certainly not the worst either. Mine started at $9200. I haven't asked for a CLI..yet.lol
I haven't been with them that long. I started receiving the offers to apply a month after opening the account 1.4 years ago.
They are pretty aggressive about getting people to have their cards!
I was badgered for 8 months before I caved in. Received a preapproved email almost monthly to apply for the WMC. No FTF and 5% CB on groceries and gas, plus 10% kick back..not too shabby.
Message 5 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

OP. I got the card 6 months ago. 2 yrs post BK. I was with them for 6-7 yrs prior to going to Chase for the $300 checking account bonus. Once the BK was over and I joined here. I saw Chase wont deal with BK's. I drove across the street. Same CSR was there when I closed my ST account. Told her I want to come back. Open Checking, Savings, and applied for the card. Instant $5800 CL. Fico Bankcard was 714. Pulled only EQ. Good Luck. Love the card and the 10% for depositing cash back.

Message 6 of 13
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Hmm, can you guys confirm 2% cb at walmart? Is cli sp or hp?
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 7 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry, I've never used it at Walmart and haven't figured out how to request a CLI. Hopefully one of the other members can help in that area.
Message 8 of 13
kugel
Valued Contributor

To apply for thire credit cars do u need firstba savings or checking Acct ?
Do they give nice credit lines ?
Message 9 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

No, you don't have to have a bank account. I had one with them temporarily. I've closed the bank account and only have the card.
I began receiving CC offers about a month after opening the checking account.
Their SLs seem score driven. The higher your Bank card score, the better the SL. My SL was $9200. I've seen others get higher SLs and some lower.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.