Did you mean: 

Suntrust Mastercard

tag
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Suntrust Mastercard

I received their card this past year.

My personal experience with SunTrust:

• You don't need to have any relationship with SunTrust to apply and you can apply online
    • However, I believe you need to live in their market (perhaps, unless you apply in person at one of their branches).
  • My approval was not instant:
    • I was requested to physically visit one of their branch and verify my identify (Driver's license is enough for this). Obviously, if you apply at one of their branch, this step would be bypassed.
  • They do seem to pull exclusively Equifax (perhaps FICO 8)
  • My Equifax FICO 8 was around 750 when I applied
  • Their Staring Limits  (SLs) are reasonable to generous, they seem to range in $7,000 to $10,000 range as @GMood1 pointed out
  • ***It appears*** that their branch-levell personal bankers have some sway in the approval. At least, the banker I worked with to verify my identity told me that they "fought" with their corporate office for the highest SL possible on my behalf. Again, this is strictly anecdotal.
  • They do soft pulls for AR using Equifax
  • (NOT directly from my personal experience) From others on this board, it appears that SunTrust is inquiry-sensitive

Some possible points of avice to OP based on my personal experience:

• Be sure to pull your real Equifax FICO to see where you stand (e.g. from this site, MyFico .com). Unless they have changed something, Experian and and TransUnion will play no role for SunTrust
  • You mentioned a $4000 revolving debt. What % utilization does this correspond to? Perhaps if you can get this number down, that may push your Equifax FICO over 700.
  • If you can try to wait until you get past 700 to get a higher SL.

Questions for others:

• Does anyone have experience with requesting a Credit Limit Increase (CLI) with SunTrust? If so, did CLI request result in a Hard Pull (HP)? When is the earliest that one can request a CLI? Was underwriting for CLI instant?

Thank you!!

Message 11 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I was told you have to call lending and request a CLI. They use the FICO 8 bank card scoring system for apps.
My approval was instant, perhaps because I opened a bank account first?
They provide you a score update once a month, if you have an active credit card or bank account with them.
Message 12 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Opened with instant approval on page 1 the day I switched from Chase and went back and opened checking savings with EQ 714 Bankcard. FICO 8 was 701? Auto CLI once I hit 1 year. Went from 5800 to 7000. Used average 5-6 hundred a month and PIF each month. Nowhere on the website has a CLI request link that I've seen. You get FICO EQ Bankcard 8 score each month.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.