cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Bank CLI Denied...Score used is over 2 months old!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Bank CLI Denied...Score used is over 2 months old!

So I recently applied for a CLI on my Amazon Prime Store card since my score has recently increased as I paid off all my cards. Long story short I got an immediate denial. I was rather surprised. Today the letter came in and it is showing a score of 571 as of December 5th 2019. Today, all 3 bureaus are currently reporting a 700+ score. I called in to ask why they are using a score that is 2 months old to make a decision. The representative told me that it takes 30 days after my score updates for them to get it in their system. I told her that even in mid-december my score was already up to a 687 so by that logic it would've been updated in mid-January.

The most reasonable explanation I can think of is that they pull in data from the bureaus once every 3 months. Has anyone run into this with Synchrony bank?

Also does capital one do the same thing because they recently denied my CLI, but then approved me for the Venture with a 5k SL.... I would think that for CLI they go off the data they have stored but for apps they do a HP do get current credit profile.

Updated the post:

After the initial denial letter I called credit solutions (overseas) and asked to re-evaluate the decision because the score is months old. Long story short I spoke to a very rude representative who then assured me he would do a soft pull and re-evaluate the request. He asked my basic information (income, rent, desired CL) and then "did the soft pull" and said I was declined. Today I got the letter in the mail and THE SCORE USED WAS THE SAME 2 MONTH OLD score showing 571. Stay away from synchrony

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony Bank CLI Denied...Score used is over 2 months old!

In my experience with Synchrony, about 10 days after your score updates on their free score offering page their system uses the newer score. 

I have had a few cards not follow that logic when the account is less than 6 months old, or if the card had a credit limit increase recently. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called credit solutions. I'm on the phone with them right now. They are going to do a soft pull and re-evaluate the request

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently posted about this. Sync is using my score from June 2019 that's over 100 points lower than my regular score (I had high utilization that month which I paid off the next mth). Every CLI request denial letter says something to the effect we stand by the score we are offering and don't believe your score has changed significantly. After I asked them to investigate and I disputed the score they had for me, they sent me a letter asking me to send them my F8 credit reports (told me to pull it from annual credit report website) if I wanted them to reconsider updating my score. I was finally able to get a CLI approved so I never bothered to send them my reports. I don't really use that account much so I'm fine for now. Maybe in June I can get them to finally update my score lol! It makes no sense. Good luck! Wish I could offer advice beyond just keep requesting CLI and hope that forces them to update your score.

Message 4 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that Synchrony uses Vantage Score 4.0 now. Do they give you their score the way PPMC does?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats for the Venture SL and I am hoping you could get them resolved with latest scores on Synchrony bank system

Message 6 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I called credit solutions. I'm on the phone with them right now. They are going to do a soft pull and re-evaluate the request

Are you still on hold?   What was the outcome @Anonymous

Message 7 of 19
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

<taps foot>

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 19
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you still on hold?   What was the outcome @Anonymous

I sincerely hope he comes back with a great story about how he and the CSR fell in love resolving his issue, so not only did he get a CLI, but he's also getting married.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry guys I went to work and forgot to update this thread.

Here's how the call went, feel free to skip to the TLDR at the bottom.

It was one of the WORST calls I've ever been on. The representative was super rude. When I initially told him that the letter showed that my score is a 571 but I currently have a 700+ across all bureaus he questioned me like I was lying. I told him that I recently pulled my score from all bureaus and I'm sure it is 700+. He then told me that score may not have been the reason for the denial. I told him I understand that but I think a 140 point difference might have an impact on the decision. He said 'sir I'm just saying you may have been denied for another reason'. I told him I understand there are multiple factors including your history with the bank (I have pretty great history with them and in fact my first 2 CLI were automatic. Last one was about 1.5 years ago). I told him just for reference on the same day I applied for the CLI with synchrony and got denied I got a 7x CLI with Bank of America (500 -> 3700). He then reluctantly agreed to do another CLI request and ensured me that it would be a soft pull to get the latest score (I am now questioning this). He asked me the same questions you get asked on the website (income, rent). When I told him my income was $185k he asked me if I was sure (At this point I am just CONFUSED. I asked him do you need me to mail in my paystubs or W2 for verification? he said no) I'm pretty young but I work in tech so these salaries are not that uncommon. He then put me on hold for 2-3 minutes and came back and said sorry, unfortunately, we cannot give you a CLI at this time. I was utterly confused. I asked him what was the score they pulled he said sorry I can't tell you that just wait until the letter comes (in a very dismissive tone). The call was over after that. I am seriously thinking of canceling this card mostly due to the fact that synchrony bank has the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

TLDR: Got denied AGAIN. Waiting on the denial letter to find out why. If the score says 571 I am just going to give up on synchrony.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.