Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

tag
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

I received a nice boost on my Transunion over the weekend so though I would hit up ole Synchrony for some luv. Really wanted to get my Lowes up toward that $30-35k mark from $17k where it has sat since last August. Called them up and requested $35k put me on hold for under 2 minutes (usually not a good sign for me) and came back with " sorry to inform you that where unable to approve your credit line increase request " you will receive blah blah blah in the mail. So not giving up on the first try hopped on chat thiis time and got denied again! but given a number to contact underwritng? called them and they came back with a denial as well. Same exact thing happened to me with my Amazon Store Card. Flat denials with no counteroffers which is suprising. Has me wondering now are they cracking down on giving out large credit line increase requests? Anything requested over a certain threshold is now being forwarded to underwriting? Anyone else experience this sort of thing lately?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

Got my Lowes to $25k and EBates and Sams to $10k, then it was a few no, no, no.

I just gave up before they want to send me the blue envelope.

$17k is a really good limit to have on a Lowes card.  Enjoy it and get a good night sleep.

Message 2 of 20
peghede
Valued Contributor

some people are risking it all for some bigger cli... greed.lol

Message 3 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@peghede wrote:

some people are risking it all for some bigger cli... greed.lol

That's not greed. Not wanting to wreck your utilization with a large purchase isn't greedy, it's smart. Larger limits keep your utilization down, and your score healthy.  

My Amazon store card is only $5K, so when I charged $4,600 on it last December, it hurt my score to the tune of 30-ish points. Even after paying all that off before deferred interest hit, Synchrony still won't give me a CLI. 

People use the Lowes project financing all the time for very larger purchases and projects. Using $10K of a $35K limit looks a lot better on paper than using $10K of a $17K limit. 

Message 4 of 20
peghede
Valued Contributor

yeah if u use a decent lender, not this synchrony r.i.p who will close or freeze u card on the way to register to pay for lumber......don't get confused with navy now.

Message 5 of 20
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

All points are very valid and taken. My goal exactly as DeeBee78 stated was to cushion some utilization and Lowes has been known to be the easiest to bump up to $30-35k. But believe me I am fully aware of the synchrony shenanigans and will close these accounts (3) I have with the the quickness. Would take a hit in utilization in doing so but will move on to some banks that don't put their customers through that.

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 6 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I got my cards as high as want them .10k was my goal and like many i dont want to push too hard. With lots of defaults it only makes sense that some tightening will and is occuring. I always find it amusing that someone who actually utilizes their limit like deebee dont get the increases they need to help utilize their account better.

Be careful doing the trifecta, call ,chat ,luv button same day. That may give your account more attention then one may wantSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I got my cards as high as want them .10k was my goal and like many i dont want to push too hard. With lots of defaults it only makes sense that some tightening will and is occuring. I always find it amusing that someone who actually utilizes their limit like deebee dont get the increases they need to help utilize their account better.

Be careful doing the trifecta, call ,chat ,luv button same day. That may give your account more attention then one may wantSmiley Wink

+1 So true...I don't even go there with those cards. What I have I will happily keep, but not asking for more at this time. Synchrony is too "touchy," imho

Message 8 of 20
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Yes AJC I'm going to cool it for now. It will be interesting to see what's on the letter they send out to me. It's just suprising especially with my Amazon account I had never had any issues moving it up to $10k but maybe those days of increases are coming few and far in between now.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked for an increase on my Belk card.

They refused got the letter an it cited too many recent inquiries. I may have 2-3 on my Transunion from this year too me that is not many.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.