Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Walmart Card - SSA-89 request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Walmart Card - SSA-89 request

Hi All,

Couple weeks back, applied for a walmart store card. I was instantly approved, but then it declined the second time I used it.

I have now received an SSA-89 request letter from their fraud department.

I am relatively new to the country, if I send this back, do they just get access to my SSN? Is this normal? Just wondered if it gives them any other info and if I should do it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony Walmart Card - SSA-89 request

my wife got this letter after she got her discover card they just verify name and dob and of course ssn with the social security administration

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

its not normal btw most times they dont require this but it does happen from time to time for verification purposes

Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

Couple weeks back, applied for a walmart store card. I was instantly approved, but then it declined the second time I used it.

I have now received an SSA-89 request letter from their fraud department.

I am relatively new to the country, if I send this back, do they just get access to my SSN? Is this normal? Just wondered if it gives them any other info and if I should do it.

Thanks

We've had reports of this happening before from other people new to the country... it's usually just verification.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anybody know how long it will all take? I sent their letter back a couple weeks back but it is all still frozen, I have a balance, this won't show as late right? I have not had a statement yet

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I realize this thread is a year old, but I wanted to share my experience. Just the other day, I, too, was notified my accounts were frozen. Today I received the infamous “blue envelope,” but it was simply requesting I fill out and complete the SSA-89. No big deal.

I suspect I received this because I have my LexisNexus Risk Solutions (as well as SageStream and IDA) profile frozen. Lately, Synchrony has been using it when evaluating applications. I was denied numerous credit cards because of it reflecting inquiries, so I nipped it in the bud and froze it.

I’m sending in the form today, and I’ll update the outcome.

As an aside — my SSN was issued back in the 1990’s, so it has nothing to do with a new SSN.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.