Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony denied bc of identity?

tag
Klineact
New Contributor

Synchrony denied bc of identity?

A couple weeks ago I  used the Rooms to Go Pre-approval tool to check and see if I would be approved for this card.  I have 6 synchrony accounts dating back as old as 2017.  Ive never been late and I have zero balances on all 6 cards. I hit to continue the app bc I want the card for upcoming furniture purchase.   I was told I had to call and the rep sent a link which I had to click on.  I do have FA on my reports due to identity theft.  The rep then told me I needed to do this short video and upload a pic of my DL which I did.  She then tells me I am denied wont give me a reason (My score is 722) and says wait for letter in mail.  I finally get the letter which tells me they couldnt verify my identity and there is no phone number listed to call. How can you not verify my identity I sent a pic of my drivers license and verified anything they asked me? This is insane.  Is there anything I can do?? Would I have better luck at the store?  It just seems to ask me for videos licenses and answer questions should be quite enough.  Plus I have 6 other accounts with them! Makes zero sense but I still want the card.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Synchrony denied bc of identity?

@Klineact wrote:

A couple weeks ago I  used the Rooms to Go Pre-approval tool to check and see if I would be approved for this card.  I have 6 synchrony accounts dating back as old as 2017.  Ive never been late and I have zero balances on all 6 cards. I hit to continue the app bc I want the card for upcoming furniture purchase.   I was told I had to call and the rep sent a link which I had to click on.  I do have FA on my reports due to identity theft.  The rep then told me I needed to do this short video and upload a pic of my DL which I did.  She then tells me I am denied wont give me a reason (My score is 722) and says wait for letter in mail.  I finally get the letter which tells me they couldnt verify my identity and there is no phone number listed to call. How can you not verify my identity I sent a pic of my drivers license and verified anything they asked me? This is insane.  Is there anything I can do?? Would I have better luck at the store?  It just seems to ask me for videos licenses and answer questions should be quite enough.  Plus I have 6 other accounts with them! Makes zero sense but I still want the card.

Sorry OP, I am guessing that they denied you solely based due to the FA on file.

Once you trigger Synchrony's FA system, there is NO way around it.

You cannot recon the denial. The Rep's have no way to override it.

The ONLY thing you would be able to due, is remove the FA on file and apply again a few months down the road.

Also to add, with 6 other Synchrony Accts., applying for a seventh is asking to have Synchrony shut down ALL your accts.

If you search "Synchrony closed down all my accounts" there are a few threads on this subject.

ETA: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=Synchrony+Account+C...

Message 2 of 9
Klineact
New Contributor

IDC if they shut down the other cards. I dont use any of them on a regular basis and  I carry nearly no debt and I have many other options.  Just wanted the deffered interest on the RTG card but since it appears I cant get a synchrony card bc of the FA issue I guess I will just get over it.  Smiley Happy thanks for responding. 

Message 3 of 9
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Klineact wrote:

They're not trying to give you hard time, they're following protocols. You have the Fraud Alert for this very reason.

Question: Do you have a phone number listed on your bureaus with your Fraud Alert? If not, you should add one. Potential lenders will call the number listed on your bureau to verify identity. It's far easier than jumping through all the hoops...like that proof of life video.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 4 of 9
fbc200384
Valued Member

This just happened to me! Approved for Lowes Card 2 weeks ago but got denied for Care Credit because they couldnt verify my identity. Both cards from Sync. Sent pic of my DL and did the 5 second vid but they couldnt verify me. Sucks!!!!

Current Fico 8 as of 04/2023 :

Fico 10 04/2023 [TU626] [EX621] [EQ 638]
Message 5 of 9
Klineact
New Contributor

Yea they are a mess.  I am not even wasting my time with Sync anymore bc of it...They are just idiots.

@fbc200384 wrote:

This just happened to me! Approved for Lowes Card 2 weeks ago but got denied for Care Credit because they couldnt verify my identity. Both cards from Sync. Sent pic of my DL and did the 5 second vid but they couldnt verify me. Sucks!!!!

Message 6 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Actually I think they're more like a mature financial institution now than ever before.  It was easy for us to love them when they were allowing us to pad our utilization with 10 cards at $10-20,000 limits that never got used.  But to be honest, THAT was a hot mess.

Plus they issued that big check from Stark Industries in Spiderman Far From Home so they've got that going for them... which is nice 🤣

Message 7 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Synchrony-Bank-Big-Check-Held-by-Jon-Favreau-in-Spider-Man-Far-From-Home-3.jpg

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

They're idiots because you have a FA and were denied?  🤔 and you have a lot of accounts to echo another post that is really asking you get shut down. And if they shut down your accounts they most likely won't even approve you for a new one to begin with for at least a year usually. Denial would state something like recently closed synch accounts. If the deferred interest is so important why not opening a regular bank credit card or CU card with a 0% apr term

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.