Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU shows 680 FICO score; Chase denial say TU is 619

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU shows 680 FICO score; Chase denial say TU is 619

Just as the title says.  🙂

Applied for an Amazon card through Chase.  Denied within 15 seconds. The letter I received from Chase a couple of days later states my TU score is 619, yet when logging in to CK that day, I showed a score of 680 on TU, and 683 on Equifax.  

I know why I was denied (no recent credit card history since we pay cash for everything, yet I do have two car loans, both current, no derogatories, very low debt-to-income ratio).  I just wonder how Chase pulls up a score I probably had a few months ago, as opposed to my current score.  Or, I wonder if they are using a different model for the score.  Any thoughts?

Naturally I was applying for this for boosting my score further; I don't really need it, but since it's the game the lenders play 🙄, I have to do it.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: TU shows 680 FICO score; Chase denial say TU is 619

CK is not FICO it is a vantage score that lenders do not use. 

Get your true FICO scores, use CK for monitoring only! One should never put the word FICO in front of a CK score it is misleading. CK is great for monitoring and getting updated alerts, but for scoring not so much.

619 FICO is a little low for chase.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 5
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Yea CreditKarma and FICO should never be in the same sentence especially next to one another. The 680 is a FAKO score called Vantage Score. Your FICO 8 score, the one most lenders use, is 619 when using TransUnion data. Lastly the Chase Amazon Prime Visa requires a minimum of a 640 for approval which is the second lowest score other than subprime cards. So in short you really want to find out why your score is in the gutter because all the good offers are not available.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just as the title says.  🙂

Applied for an Amazon card through Chase.  Denied within 15 seconds. The letter I received from Chase a couple of days later states my TU score is 619, yet when logging in to CK that day, I showed a score of 680 on TU, and 683 on Equifax.  

I know why I was denied (no recent credit card history since we pay cash for everything, yet I do have two car loans, both current, no derogatories, very low debt-to-income ratio).  I just wonder how Chase pulls up a score I probably had a few months ago, as opposed to my current score.  Or, I wonder if they are using a different model for the score.  Any thoughts?

Naturally I was applying for this for boosting my score further; I don't really need it, but since it's the game the lenders play 🙄, I have to do it.

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

Jnbmom and zerofire’s have given great advice about getting your FICO scores. The last thing you want to start out doing is racking up denials and inquiries because you relied on FAKO scores. 

You were denied because your score was too low for Chase, not because you pay cash for everything. Are you saying you have no CCs? If yes, then your first one should not have been Chase. I suggest after getting your FICO scores, check Cap1 and Discover’s prequalification page and see if there are any offers for you. 

Also, I want to address something you referenced in the last paragraph of your post. Getting CCs to boost your scores is not a game lender’s play.  You boost your scores by having on time payments, keeping UT low, not applying for a lot of cards, having no negatives on your report, and letting a positive credit history age. Yes, having 3 CC is good for optimal scoring purposes, but that’s about it. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

I have around 50-60 higher EQ and TU on CK versus when I look at my FICO scores. It sucks, for sure!
AU

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.