Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I got my BCP in June with 5 other cards including Discover IT. I did a $5500 BT to the IT card, was carrying probaby 80-90% util on the IT card in December when I got my 3x.

Will go for another 3x in July and should have 2-3% util AZEO.

Message 3741 of 5,432
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

Will report the end result either way. Ric, mind sharing what the process was on your approval?

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 3742 of 5,432
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

Very interesting and frustrating. Called and spoke with AMEX. After getting transfered a few times, They confirmed I was declined due to "low FICO score." I said "682 isn't good enough?!" He responded that my FICO is 640 as of December 9th. I tell him that the AMEX site itself has posted that my FICO is 682 this morning, which is why I felt comfortable requsting the increase. 

He said in that case he'd mark it for manual review and get back to me in 48 hours. 

So an interesting nugget. Just because AMEX posts your current FICO doesn't mean that THAT's the score they're going to use in their decision. Very frustrated but hopefully someone will actually perform a manual review and see that their system had yet to reflect the most current information.

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 3743 of 5,432
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@mysterythemoon wrote:

Very interesting and frustrating. Called and spoke with AMEX. After getting transfered a few times, They confirmed I was declined due to "low FICO score." I said "682 isn't good enough?!" He responded that my FICO is 640 as of December 9th. I tell him that the AMEX site itself has posted that my FICO is 682 this morning, which is why I felt comfortable requsting the increase. 

He said in that case he'd mark it for manual review and get back to me in 48 hours. 

So an interesting nugget. Just because AMEX posts your current FICO doesn't mean that THAT's the score they're going to use in their decision. Very frustrated but hopefully someone will actually perform a manual review and see that their system had yet to reflect the most current information.

That is weird, hopefully the manual review will help out. Seems pretty irrelevant they would use data that is a month old.

Message 3744 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you gotten a letter or email from Amex explaining why they declined the CLI?  That letter/email usually includes the EX score they used to make their decision and the date the score was pulled. If you didn't get it, you can go to https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do.  Fill in the requested info and you will see a copy of the letter.  Pay careful attention to the date of the pull stated in the letter since you will now know the approximate date when Amex underwriting pulls your score.  From my personal experience I know they pull my EX score on or around the 4th of each month.  So I wait until after the 4th of the next month to ensure that the underwriting folks are using the score that was displayed on the website in the preceding month.

@mysterythemoon wrote:

Message 3745 of 5,432
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

Update on my situation. HUCA about four times and all the guy would say is that because of low FICO they couldn't do the 3X CLI. He read the same script the other's did. Then I got him again on the fourth call and I patiently explained they used my last month's FICO even though they posted THIS MONTH'S FICO the day before I applied for the 3X in the first place. He said he'd mark it for manual review. Fast forward about a week and boom. 4,200 is now 12,600 CL. Pretty satisfied. I have a SPG application also marked for manual review. Hoping for a similar outcome. 

JUNE 2023 UPDATE

CURRENT SITUATION:

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 3746 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

9k to 27k at 181 days. Fico 770.
Message 3747 of 5,432
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@mysterythemoon wrote:

Update on my situation. HUCA about four times and all the guy would say is that because of low FICO they couldn't do the 3X CLI. He read the same script the other's did. Then I got him again on the fourth call and I patiently explained they used my last month's FICO even though they posted THIS MONTH'S FICO the day before I applied for the 3X in the first place. He said he'd mark it for manual review. Fast forward about a week and boom. 4,200 is now 12,600 CL. Pretty satisfied. I have a SPG application also marked for manual review. Hoping for a similar outcome. 

Congrats! Your persistence paid off!

Robot Very Happy

Message 3748 of 5,432
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
9k to 27k at 181 days. Fico 770.

Should we be surprised with that score!? Congrats!

is this your 2nd 3x? Did you go for it at 61 days?

Message 3749 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read this entire thread. Thank you to all that have participated. 

Today I went from 15k SL to 31.9k on my BCP, on my 61st day.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Hesitant-to-request-3x-CLI-Amex-BCP/td-p/51...

Message 3750 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.