Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

@dsotm76 wrote:

So, I tried the 3X on my Hilton Honors card.  The SL was $5000 and I went for $15000.  It's been past the 180 days.  I received the 7-10 days message that I'd receive it in writing.  Should I request again for a lower amount?  Thoughts?

The 7-10 days message is a denial.  If you were denied for a credit related reason you need to wait 90 days from the date of denial before requesting another CLI.  If the denial is for a non-credit related reason the wait is 30 days from the date of denial.  If you submit another request - even for a lower amount - it will be automatically rejected by Amex's computers.

Thank you so much for the information.  I appreciate it.  Oh well.  As long as there isn't an inquiry, no worries and no harm done.  :-)  I didn't really need it, just was trying to maximize my amounts.  Actually wanted to move it over to my Delta, if approved.  

That brings up a question, if I move some credit limit from one card to another, does that have an affect on my score?  

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 4371 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If you got a CLI on June 27 then you will need to wait until December 27 at minimum before requesting another CLI on any of your cards.  The reason is that Amex considers all your credit cards as one account and their hard rule is one CLI every 180 days.  If I were in your shoes I'd wait until early January; that way your credit score should have gained a few points for aging another month in December.

Thanks for responding, I asked the rep multiple times about that between my SPG and BCE and she said that those two are eligible for the CLI increase and are not withstanding the 180 day rule, she did say my Delta card was eligible for another CLI on Dec 27.

I probably wont touch the CLI button until the end of the year, but it was worth noting

Message 4372 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
If you got a CLI on June 27 then you will need to wait until December 27 at minimum before requesting another CLI on any of your cards.  The reason is that Amex considers all your credit cards as one account and their hard rule is one CLI every 180 days.  If I were in your shoes I'd wait until early January; that way your credit score should have gained a few points for aging another month in December.

Thanks for responding, I asked the rep multiple times about that between my SPG and BCE and she said that those two are eligible for the CLI increase and are not withstanding the 180 day rule, she did say my Delta card was eligible for another CLI on Dec 27.

I probably wont touch the CLI button until the end of the year, but it was worth noting

Well, there's a simple way to find out if the rep is correct. Smiley Happy

And moving credit limits shouldn't affect your score unless you have a balance on the card you're moving from; and that balance causes the reduced limit to exceed a utilization threshold (28.9%, 48.9%, 68.9%, or 88.9%).

Message 4373 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up having to do the paper 4056T to get my CLI request to 6 figures processed and approved. It took a while to complete. Do I calculate the 180 days from the day I applied or the day the CLI was granted some 20-25 days later?

Message 4374 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice 10k+ SL. ~91 days... Denial. ~180 days...$300. I figured that I hadn't put enough spend on it post-SUB so I used it for groceries.

~180 days later, requested $35k. IV requested. I backed it out, put in $34,900....instant approval!!
A nice early Christmas present from AMEX!
Message 4375 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I ended up having to do the paper 4056T to get my CLI request to 6 figures processed and approved. It took a while to complete. Do I calculate the 180 days from the day I applied or the day the CLI was granted some 20-25 days later?

From when it was granted. I get a letter in mail confirming each increase and I go by that date. Congrats on a succesful 4056T CLI! 

Message 4376 of 5,432
joltdude
Senior Contributor

So how do you back down the offer if you get prompted for IV while your asking... do you hit the back arrow on your browser and put in a different amount or? 

Know if you wait for the letter you completely lose...

-J

Message 4377 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, joltdude. You can just hit the back button and enter in lower amounts. I had to log out and back in each time when I did it. When I used the back button I kept getting error messages. I think I ended up having to log out and back in at least a dozen times before I received the instant approval with no IV.
Message 4378 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, exactly. And since it had to be in $100 increments I chanced $34,900 instead of $35,000.

My account stayed logged in; I was using Android's Chrome browser.
Message 4379 of 5,432
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

So I was reading that some others got the 3x CLI at less than 61 days, so I figured why not try. I did not really get the limit I wanted when I opened my magnet card and had called them at first for a recon, to which was told them that once I got the card, I could request an increase. I never did that and was going to wait.

I requested 3X and got the 7-10 days message. Soon after got an email to call for the results where I was told I was denied. I asked the rep if it was because I was too soon and he said yes it needed to be 60 days from when account opened. 

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 4380 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.