Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 3x CLI Question

Depends on what it is. If it's too sad to mention (my first one) and you accept it (what was I thinking?), then you have to wait another ~180 days to try again.
Message 4571 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

This system doesn't work out for me unfortunately but I am glad it works for most others. I got another denied on Amex ED after the rep told me I am eligible. I know it is not guaranteed which also depends on your current credit standing. Anyway I am on low 730 EQ at the moment of speaking. I just recently paid ~3000 on BCP - 15% balance , paid 600 on ED but received automatic 250 online charges plus other
- 15% balance from a service and paid aid around 500 on DG -0% balance. I spent 2500 on BCP last month and paid back 3000. I thought that would look good on amex. Pif or not, it doesnt work for me. So I am pretty much lost how this things work. Lol I also got denied by boa earlier after received an offer from them. I guess it is time to stop and wait until the six automatic removal of my hp inquiries soon. ( after 2 years)
Message 4572 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: Six months passed since my last increase to $34,900. My current/ statement balance was less than $150. The monthly charges were an average of $300.

Requested $44,900, got IV message. Backed it out to $44,800 & $39,900: errors, logged out & logged back in. Requested $39,800, got an instant approval. 😀

I think BBS is right. This doesn't prove it, but believe anything over $5k will trigger an IV.
Message 4573 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think BBS is right. This doesn't prove it, but believe anything over $5k will trigger an IV.

Thanks for stopping in and providing that data.  I do believe that $5k/6mo is a "thing" with Amex.  That's not to say that there aren't exceptions, but if there are I have not heard about any yet Smiley Wink

Message 4574 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened a Delta Gold Skymiles on January 26 and received a $1K starting limit. I tried the 3X CLI today (which was 92/3). Balance was $0 at the time I applied (PIF on Friday). Got the "you will receive a written response in 7-10 days" which I presume is a denial. Two questions... has anyone ever had any luck asking for a recon? And second, how long do I have to wait before I can try again?

My FICO 8 is reporting on the AMEX website as 667--that's from EX right?--but that is from March 27... it's 678 now on the Experian website). I have a delinquency from 4 months ago (was current on all of my TLs at the time I initially applied for the card). Any advice?

Message 4575 of 5,432
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Ok. Help.  So, I'm past 180 days since my last cli on my BCE card. And, a few days ago, I just received my BonVoy Brilliant card.

Can I request CLI on BCE, which is currently at $6K and go for $18K. And then, can I move some of that limit over to my new BonVoy card and still apply for 3X at 61 days? BonVoy only gave me $3K SL AND, I had to close one of my cards to get it because I had the max #cards.

That said, how likely is it that I get cli on BCE (my last cli was from 3-6K) 

I'm at 770 EX

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 4576 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you can only have one CLI every 6 months. The 61 day thing is only for the first card ever, unless it's been 181 days from your last CLI.

If you receive a CLI on BCE today, the clock restarts for a CLI on the Bonvoy for another 181 days. 

Your score seems fine, but the rst of your profile is unknown such as balances to CL etc. So whether Amex will give you one is speculative. 

It's a SP so no harm in requesting.

Message 4577 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

10k to 30k on day 62 of my Bonvoy Brilliant Amex card. Do I need that high credit limit?  Nope, but nice to know I can. It is now my highest limit card after just a couple of months.

Thanks to Amex for treating me very well over the past year (got my Gold card without a credit score at all...).

Message 4578 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait this only works on the first card ever with Amex? My first card was the green charge card so obviously I was going to wait until I got a revolver. So, do you mean first revolver ever? @Janus

Message 4579 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I applied for a CLI after 90 days and I'm denied, how long do I have to wait before I can try again?

Message 4580 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.