Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@MachoHombre wrote:

A few soft data-points that may help others. 

BTW:   Blue Cash Everday card, my only amex.   FACO mid 7hudreds, relatively clean report.  

[x] Today 180days since last CLI,  curent CL = $12.0K

[x] Via Web requested (x3) 36.0K  got financial review language ..backed out ..tried $35.0K got "systems updating" message.

[x] Ditto on future requests, went all the way down to $25.0K ...continually got "Systems Updating".

...I didn't believe the system update language.

[x] So, I tried by phone (automated), punch in details, got financial review then an instant email with a number to call .....  Called and the representative while pleasant, ....said that info on the way to me via snail mail, ...fill out and return via mail ... or go to website and do the form there ...he would not talk about anything else (obviously trained that once FR requested, nothing else to talk about)

[x] I called back and said cancel any/all recent CLI requests ...rep said there were a few, (these were from my auto phone attempts) I apologized for the drama and said please cancel all ...which fortunately he was able to do.

--

Same day but with kind of a fresh start:

[x] Tried $36.0K again (web)  ..no nice.  backing out and trying again  ...continually got "System Updating" when lowering.....  tried multiple times lowering amount each time, always "Systems Updating" after trying anything after the initial financial review note.

---

Getting a bit bored and frustated 

[x] Logged back in, only asked for $25.0k    .....INSTANT approval.   not even a blink of hesitation.

---

so maybe we can assume:

+ with one account $25.0K  really is benchmark (for most of us) before financial review.

+ Doing request via phone can throw a wrench in the process and create drama because it creates an application ..whereas backing out via web does not.

-

I've set my calendar to revisit in 180 days, have heard to go in $5.0K increments, but at that time I'll study up and we'll see.

Maybe these things help others ....I know I appreciate all the little details that others post.

Hi @MachoHombre, just a quick reminder that with American Express, "Financial Review", or "FR" is not the same as proof-of-income (POI).  For other lenders some use these two terms interchangeably, but doing so for Amex will cause confusion.

With Amex, during a Financial Review (FR) your accounts are frozen (usually all of them if you have more than one Amex account), and you must comply with their requests or else your accounts are closed (again, usually all of them).

On the other hand, if they ask for a 4506-T during a CLI request this is not a Financial Review, but only a request for POI (proof-of-income).  In this case, you can simply ignore it (or go back a page and try for a lower amount).  Nothing bad will happen, you just aren't likely to get the original CLI that prompted the request to begin with.

I'm not trying to nitpick, it's just that whenever there's a mention of an actual Amex FR it usually gets lots of attention around here.  Smiley Wink

Message 4591 of 5,432
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Hi @MachoHombre, just a quick reminder that with American Express, "Financial Review", or "FR" is not the same as proof-of-income (POI).  For other lenders some use these two terms interchangeably, but doing so for Amex will cause confusion.

With Amex, during a Financial Review (FR) your accounts are frozen (usually all of them if you have more than one Amex account), and you must comply with their requests or else your accounts are closed (again, usually all of them).

On the other hand, if they ask for a 4506-T during a CLI request this is not a Financial Review, but only a request for POI (proof-of-income).  In this case, you can simply ignore it (or go back a page and try for a lower amount).  Nothing bad will happen, you just aren't likely to get the original CLI that prompted the request to begin with.

I'm not trying to nitpick, it's just that whenever there's a mention of an actual Amex FR it usually gets lots of attention around here.  Smiley Wink

OH MY!!!   I did not personally make the distinction between FR and POI (Financial Review and Proof of income).   And in doing so made my little data points more egregious than warranted.    Very sorry for bringing uninteneded drama and THANK YOU for clarification.  I've also made note via edit in my original post.    

||
Message 4592 of 5,432
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Today is day 91 from my last cli denial.  I have an amex delta gold and amex gold charge card, both opened 01/2018.  I have never gotten a CLI on the Delta card, and it is a $1k sl (which I know is a bit harder to grow).  I had a 2k hard limit on my charge card that ironically also went to NPSL today.  

I just logged in to my amex account and started entering my info to request 3x cli.  I got the below screenshot with a 24 hour message.  If you have seen this before, I would love some insight.

24hr msg.PNG

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 4593 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

One page back machohambre said he got that same systems updating message. It looks like he was getting that when the limit he was requesting was too high. Maybe try lowering your request a bit little by little?
Message 4594 of 5,432
radfam
Frequent Contributor

I backed out and was able to resubmit for a lesser amount.  7-10 day message, which I will take to mean most likely denied. 

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 4595 of 5,432
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

I continually got that same message, always after backing out when asked for POI stuff.   It was weird.   If it happens next time I'm going to log out, clear cookies and start from scratch each time.

||
Message 4596 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you’re past 90 days? If so, and it is a true denial keep at it. I got denied twice when requesting a cli on my Amex when my starting limit was 2k back in 2017. They denied me at 60 days and then 90 days. Six months later I got a 3x auto increase, then I successfully got 3x my new limit a month later. Fast forward to late last year and the same card that started out at 2k is now sitting at a 48k limit entirely off of credit line increases (no account combinations).
Message 4597 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, first time posting here. You all seem super helpful and knowledgeable, so hopefully someone can throw a little insight my way?

I applied for my first AmEx card 2 years ago, Blue Cash Everyday and was approved for $500 SL at the time. My credit wasn't stellar then, low 600's with a single charge-off and associated lates from 2.5 years earlier(only negative to this day), so I wasn't complaining, was just happy to be in the AmEx family.

I initially didn't know about the 61 day 3x CLI method, but I requested a CLI a few times over the 2 years to $1k and was denied every time. This continued right up until 2 weeks ago when I was denied for $1500. I then immediately tried, mostly for the hell of it, to apply for the Cash Magnet card, and was instantly approved with a $5k SL (soft pull).

2 questions from this. First, what gives with being denied $500 and $1000 increases (including on the same day) when they'll approve me for a $5k new card? This seems counterintuitive... Second, given the CLI denial on BCE, and approval of new CM on the same day, when would I be eligible to try for 3x CLI on the CM card? (I think I've given up on the BCE, maybe it's broken?!)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthy post!
Message 4598 of 5,432
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

As I noted on a recent post (above) I applied for CLI and repeatedly got asked for POI (4506-T).  I also received the peculiar site maintenance note repeatedly when I backed out and tried again with lower amount.   Anyway the combination of attempts kept the postman busy today.amex.jpg

||
Message 4599 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

The underwriting for a new card is going to be different than a cli. Some companies prefer to spread your credit exposure over a few cards. I can't really explain why, but you're not the first to run into this with Amex.
Message 4600 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.