Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I was able to get a 10k CLI without a IV happening.  I went back a few pages and looked at what Mystere3 said.  After I saw Amex’s credit score of 844 for me, I took a chance and figured I could always back out of it if I got the prompt. Thanks for your help.

Message 4671 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to get a 10k CLI without a IV happening. 

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean 10X your SL over the course of time with multiple/many SP CLIs?

Message 4672 of 5,432
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

Re: wait a sec, a 3x cli works if another amex account has been open for 6 months prior?

@bourgogne wrote:

I never heard about this.   this is for a buddy of mine that is rebuilding.  he wants to up the BCP because keeping the utilization in line is killing him.  Can he attempt a cli on the BCP after 07/18/19 is the question?  just looked, he has put ~$25K through the BBP already, crazy.  Thank you!

01/18/19 approved for a BBP @ $2K

02/24/19 approved for a BCP @ $1K

03/22/19 cli on BBP $2K -> $6k

Looks like the next eligible CLI date would be on or around 09/19/19 by my reckoning, going off of the BBP's CLI date. I can relate to your friend with the BCP. I practically have to sing to mine and burp it.

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 4673 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zerocool8:
So when Mystere3 was able to get 10k-20k CLI after $35k, you saw your score was around the same so you took a gamble and went from $48k to $58k? Wow!! What an increase! Congrats!!!
I'm guessing that your initial 3x was from $16k to $48k? Have your scores been pretty consistent since application or have they improved since then?
Message 4674 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called the CLI automated line and they told me that haven't made a CLI request in the past 90 days (which is weird...because I definitely thought I did one in April). Guess I am free to apply. Gonna wait until they update my EX from 690 to 712 in (hopefully) 5 days, if their trends hold true. 

Edit: I didn't wait, but still got the 3x. DP: Score is currently 712 on EX, but only reporting at 690 for Amex. Had 600/3100 utilization on the card. Account is 10 months old. Income increased slightly since the last pull to around 160k. 2 baddies from student loans. 

Message 4675 of 5,432
ironchef
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI questions

I have to ask thsi question on this old post , can you only ask for 3xcl or can you ask for more ? I hold 3 tradelines with them all in super standing and roughly 780 ex  ? 

Message 4676 of 5,432
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI questions

@ironchef wrote:

I have to ask thsi question on this old post , can you only ask for 3xcl or can you ask for more ? I hold 3 tradelines with them all in super standing and roughly 780 ex  ? 

We've had someone who used to work for Amex confirm that 3x is the most you can request:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-useless-is-an-Amex-charge-card/m-p/4784071#M139205...

(That post is old, but the info is still good.)

Message 4677 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Zero,

See the post right above yours where a member with an identical limit of $48k was able to move to $53k without IV, but any amount over that $5k increase would have resulted in IV happening.  I've been doing the $5k/6mo thing for a few years now and posts like the one above yours sort of confirm that it is indeed a "thing" with higher limit Amex cards. 

@Anonymous,

You seem to be the expert here.   Can you advise me what to do??

I burned Amex big in early 90, and Amex took me back in 2017.  I started with 1k revolver and grew up to total 120k with Amex in about 2.5 years.   Nothing degatory, always pif, very high income and fico around 790.

Last month was the 180 days since last CLI.

Asked for 50k for 25k card - IV messge

Asked for 30k for 19k card - IV message

Asked for 24k for 19k card - IV message

Asked for 22k for 19k card - IV message

My DTI is somewhere around 9%....I have a personal loan from Amex, originally 25k now standing at 5-6k balance, which means at least 20k more SL is on my profile I assumed....    Up to now, I always received any card / x3 CLI from Amex.

I think my credit profile is stronger than last CLI six months ago.  And my spending with Amex is around 7-10k every month.

Can you guess what is going on with me?   Do you think I am at max exposure, when my annual income is about 2.5 times of CL??

Message 4678 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tough to say.  I'd say you're likely at max exposure relative to your profile.  If your income is $300k I wouldn't think your $120k in Amex limits in and of themselves would be your limiting factor.  There could be something else on your account, perhaps the fact that you burned them ages ago that reduces your ceiling with them or something - no one knows these things of course.  What other Amex cards do you have aside from the two you mentioned if you have $120k in exposure with them?  Are you certain you haven't taken a CLI in the last 6 months on any of them?

Message 4679 of 5,432
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: wait a sec, a 3x cli works if another amex account has been open for 6 months prior?

@forestgreenrover wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

I never heard about this.   this is for a buddy of mine that is rebuilding.  he wants to up the BCP because keeping the utilization in line is killing him.  Can he attempt a cli on the BCP after 07/18/19 is the question?  just looked, he has put ~$25K through the BBP already, crazy.  Thank you!

01/18/19 approved for a BBP @ $2K

02/24/19 approved for a BCP @ $1K

03/22/19 cli on BBP $2K -> $6k

Looks like the next eligible CLI date would be on or around 09/19/19 by my reckoning, going off of the BBP's CLI date. I can relate to your friend with the BCP. I practically have to sing to mine and burp it.

hey, sept is what I had down for him but then i read somewhere that approval dates override (was going to use trump lol) previous cli dates. 

Message 4680 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.