Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Amex CLI question.

Fresh out of credit prison for 7 years and being freed from the Amex Blacklist, I was a little over zealous about applying for a few Amex cards when the Amex Gold card finally popped up as pre-qualified.

I applied for and was approved for the Amex Business Gold, Hilton Honors @ $2,000.00 and Everyday Amex $1,000.00 within a timeframe of 3 days. Having held  the cards now for roughly 1 1/2 months, I realize the limits on my two revolvers are just too low as I find my self paying multiple times per week in some instances to keep some available credit.

I'm aware of the 61 day 3x CLI which i'll use to boost my Hhonors card to $6k and try again in 6 months for $18k.. Based on your experiences, will my everyday Amex be stuck at $1000.00 for at least a year? OR do will there be a chance of an auto Cli within the year while I focus on beefing up my Hhonrs?

Thank you all in advance.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 4851 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI question.

To answer your question, I doubt you’ll see an auto CLI.

To be honest, I’d be cautiously optimistic about a successful CLI request on either card at the 61 day mark. AMEX seems to be slow to loosen the purse strings after they let someone off the blacklist.
Message 4852 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took about 120 days for them to approve me for a cli on my Aspire where they gave me the minimum credit line. They didnt approve me at the 61 day request. I would be cautiously optimistic, but know it may take longer for you than 61 days.
Message 4853 of 5,432
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

$500 and $1,000 AMEX limits seem to get themselves stuck for a lot of reasons. I'd concentrate on the 2k card. After the second CLI, you'll likely be in a position where you can move some of your limit over, e.g. 8k of an 18k limit. In another six months, go for a CLI on the 10k card.

Message 4854 of 5,432
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Based on my somewhat similar experience yesterday (see prior page of this thread), I predict that you will be rejected for the CLI at 61 days, though I hope I am wrong. You may as well try. If you don't get it, you'll just need to garden another 91 days before trying again.

Having said that, when/if you get a CLI on that card from $2,000 to $6,000, you can probably move some of the CL to the other card. You would have $7,000 to work with between the cards, and I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you will be able to shuffle it as you choose. You could, for example, have $3,500 on each card, or $4,000 on one and $3,000 on the other, or whatever variant. I have seen some discussion of Amex not allowing you to move CLs until the card is over a year old, which could delay this further, but my plan, if I had gotten the CLI on my Hilton card to $9,300, was to move $1,500 to my Delta card. That would have resulted in a $2,500 limit on Delta and $7,800 on Hilton. The reason I would leave the higher amount on Hilton is for the next 3x CLI, which could take that card over $23,000, at which point I would equalize the limits to around $12,750 per card. But, best-laid plans of mice and men, and all that. If I wasn't able to move CLs until the card was 13 months old, I'd have just worked on getting Hilton to around $24,000 and then divided CL between the two cards as soon as I was eligible to do so, maybe around next September or October. This is still my plan, I just have an additional delay of at least three months due to being rejected at 61 days. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4855 of 5,432
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

I got my Hilton Aspire last week. It had a much lower limit than my Surpass. Called 10mins after approval and they were fine with me moving CL from my Surpass to Aspire. Didnt even ask why. My Surpass is also only a few months old. 

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 4856 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 3X CLI??? What should I do?

Tomorrow, I will hit my 61st day on my Hilton Aspire card. My SL is $10k. I hear that 25,000 or 35,000 can trigger a financial review. In your opinions, what should I request. $24,500, $25,000 or go for the full 3x at $30,000. What's the safest bet???

Message 4857 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 3X CLI??? What should I do?

Ask for $30K. If it pops asking for income verification, back out and do $29K, then $28K, etc. until it doesn't ask. 

Message 4858 of 5,432
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ask for $30K. If it pops asking for income verification, back out and do $29K, then $28K, etc. until it doesn't ask. 

Flawless victory.

Message 4859 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah Amex said "Nah Fam....Hard Pass".  I asked for the 30k and got the thanks you will get a written response in 7-10 days. I also got the check you application online email. However when I try to access it I get....Sorry, your application cannot be accessed.
Please try again later. 

Message 4860 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.