Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Question for you experts here.

I'll be at my 61 days with Amex in about one month. My current limit is $8900. A 3x CLI for me would be $26,700 potentially triggering a tax form 4506T request. I would like to avoid the request. Would it be better to just ask for $24,900 instead? My income was much lower last year ($30,000) compared to my income this year ($45,000), so I would prefer to avoid the tax form as I am concerned it would only cause more confusion.

Thanks

Message 5171 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

I would stick to $25k or below and go $5k at a time after that if you get it.

Good luck
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5172 of 5,432
daveg38
Established Contributor

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think the OP should add how those who get $500 or $1000 SL with Amex are less likely to get the 3X CLI under 6 months unless there is heavy usage and a sustained (or grown) FICO score post-approval.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 5173 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

@daveg38 wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think the OP should add how those who get $500 or $1000 SL with Amex are less likely to get the 3X CLI under 6 months unless there is heavy usage and a sustained (or grown) FICO score post-approval.

It's got to be somewhere in these 500+ pages, but if that's added also the fact that post bankruptcy people may get approved at 5 years but aren't likely to get a CLI until it's discharged.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5174 of 5,432
tbann
Valued Member

Additional data point for everyone.  I opened my HH account on 6/7/20 with an SL of $7,800.  I put in a CLI request this morning (9/15/20) and asked for 15k and it was approved in about 2 seconds.  I know I probably left a few grand on the table but I didn't want to be greedy and I'm happy with 15k for now.  Amex shows my EX FICO 8 at 735.  Current (as of 9/13/20) FICO 8s are EX 746, EQ 773, TU 773.  Thinish file but I've been slowly working to fatten it up.

Message 5175 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone heard about a potential Amex policy change where if you're denied for a CLI within the last 90 days you aren't eligible for a CLI?  In this thread and others we've always talked about how an early denial doesn't reset the clock... like if someone requests on Day 179 early and gets denied they can still get approved on Day 180, same thing with being early on the Day 60 benchmark out of the gate on a new account.  Has this changed?  I started a thread regarding a denial I received recently here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-CLI-denial-for-being-denied-Huh/td-p/...

Message 5176 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

I remember my letters referencing I was denied recently, but I feel like one of them should have a different reason, will double check when I'm this evening and report back.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5177 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

Should have remembered I posted it on the previous page! The first letter that came referenced insufficent income, the others said recently denied within 90 days.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5178 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd.  The 90 days letter should only come after receiving the first "real" denial reason as far as I can figure, but this was the only letter I received.

Message 5179 of 5,432
swpopham
Established Contributor

Anyone ever get a CLI approved after getting the 7-10 day message?

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 5180 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.