The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 3X CLI Unsolved Mystery

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@thornback wrote:

CLI rules apply across all accounts held by an individual and includes both personal & business accounts for the same person. So you can request on one or the other, not both.  If approved, you have to wait 6 months to request again on either card.  If denied (for a reason other than requesting too soon), you have to wait 90(I believe?) days to request again. 

So if someone requests the 3x CLI...and Amex doesn't want to grant that amount...do they counteroffer with a lower CLI or do they deny the request altogether?

As I understand it, if you request a 3x CLI, Amex will do one of four things:

1) Grant the requested CLI.

2) Counter with a lower CLI.

3) Ask for income verification as a condition of CLI.

4) Deny the CLI.

So if Amex doesn't grant your request, they may counter or they may deny completely.

Thanks...

Message 5321 of 5,432
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:  Tried the increase online. got hit with the 7-10 day message.  Called and they said it was because of the account being to new.  Looks like it's tied to the card rather then the account.  I can take a sigh of relief 🙂.  Will try when I hit 61 on the Bonvoy.  

I misunderstood your Q.  When I said the rules apply to the account as a whole, I meant requesting a cli for only one card at a time, not both or multiples.  Yes - each card has to be at least 61 days old to be eligible for a CLI - but the remaining rules are per account, not card (ie. one cli every 6 months)

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5322 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it.  Has anyone ever gotten above a 3x increase after the 61days?

Message 5323 of 5,432
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

3x is the max they would typically approve for CLIs -- depending on your overall profile and AmEx experience.  That said, if someone has a $50K CL, we've yet to see anyone approved for $150K on the spot -- barring IV or 4506T.

Message 5324 of 5,432
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The only instance of greater than 3x I have seen documented in this thread is at post 460, where member @inthewoods reported going from $18k to $60k (3.33x), but only after providing income verification via Form 4506-T, as Finstar notes. I'm pretty sure that $42k increase is also the largest CLI reported in this thread in raw dollar terms.

I don't think there are any other instances of someone reporting a CLI greater than 3x in this thread, with or without IV. There could very well be some bigguns in the Approvals forum that I missed. I have made no attempt to search for or log datapoints from outside this thread. 

Message 5325 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thanks for the info.  From what I see requesting a limit that goes past 25k could trigger an income verification.  

Message 5326 of 5,432
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Crossed the 61-day mark today and asked for 3x and came back with a 7-10 message. 

Not my time yet I guess. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5327 of 5,432
Ivylicious1908
Regular Contributor

I wait 70 days because I received the 7-10 day message. Then I was approved for 3X my limit. Went from 2k to 6k! Hope that helps. You have pulled the trigger too early.

Message 5328 of 5,432
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Ivylicious1908 wrote:

I wait 70 days because I received the 7-10 day message. Then I was approved for 3X my limit. Went from 2k to 6k! Hope that helps. You have pulled the trigger too early.

good to know!

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5329 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great thanks for the info.  From what I see requesting a limit that goes past 25k could trigger an income verification.  

I think $35k is a more telling threshold than $25k.

Plenty of people (myself included) have gone from $10k --> $30k with a single [3X] CLI without having to provide IV.  I have not seen people jump over the $35k threshold though with a 3X or otherwise large CLI without getting the IV prompt.

Message 5330 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.