Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Congratulations on your increse!!! 

Message 5292 of 5,432
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Signed up to share my experience getting limits above 24-25k without tax forms, since that info gets a little buried in this thread.

Background; 2 players, 2 BCE cards

~1st player; 800+ fico, has been 850 at times.

~2nd player; 750-805 fico, no negative strikes, just lack of credit history.

First things first, use the 3x rule every 6 months to get your limit to 24-25k. This seems to be the first limit.

~1st player CLI;  24.5k -> 34.5k -> 39k (forgot to try 39.5) Shows 43k due to a cruise refund, will be interesting if that helps the next CLI.

~2nd player CLI;  24k -> 34k -> 39k

The denial, and the BACK button.  When you request too high and get the screen that says "A letter with our decision will be mailed in 7-10 days",  hit the browser BACK button to get back to the account services page. Then request another lower CLI.  The first time I did this I was at 24k and went for 3x = 72k, then 71k, 70k, -1k each request just to make sure I wasn't leaving CLI on the table.  You will get about 50 letters in the mail for each denial.Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for this thread and I hope this helps someone. If anyone has limit help above where we are at, I'd love to hear it. But I'm guessing I might be stuck at 5k CLI from here on out. What are the limits people have received giving AMEX your tax info? What is the highest without?

Thanks for the info! Your back button tip just got me an increase to $30,000 on my Marriott Bonvoy card. Much appreciated!

Message 5293 of 5,432
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Signed up to share my experience getting limits above 24-25k without tax forms, since that info gets a little buried in this thread.

First things first, use the 3x rule every 6 months to get your limit to 24-25k. This seems to be the first limit.

~1st player CLI;  24.5k -> 34.5k -> 39k (forgot to try 39.5) Shows 43k due to a cruise refund, will be interesting if that helps the next CLI.

The denial, and the BACK button.  When you request too high and get the screen that says "A letter with our decision will be mailed in 7-10 days",  hit the browser BACK button to get back to the account services page. Then request another lower CLI.  The first time I did this I was at 24k and went for 3x = 72k, then 71k, 70k, -1k each request just to make sure I wasn't leaving CLI on the table.  You will get about 50 letters in the mail for each denial.Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for this thread and I hope this helps someone. If anyone has limit help above where we are at, I'd love to hear it. But I'm guessing I might be stuck at 5k CLI from here on out. What are the limits people have received giving AMEX your tax info? What is the highest without?

Moving forward, I will be trying your $5000 every 6mo technique.

Message 5294 of 5,432
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the back button thing work with other cards, like Discover or Captital One? Or is it strictly an AMEX thing?

Message 5295 of 5,432
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the back button thing work with other cards, like Discover or Captital One? Or is it strictly an AMEX thing?

AmEx only.  You'll get an error if you try those 2.  

Message 5296 of 5,432
Repairman
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AmEx only.  You'll get an error if you try those 2.  

Thanks for the info.

Message 5297 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my friends has 2 revolving accounts (Amex Blue and Amex Everyday) and one charge card (Gold) for the last 23 years and never requested any CLI nor Amex offered her any increase. Just 5 days ago she requested CLI very first time in 23 years on her revolving account- Amex Blue card 3x and got approved instantly. Now she wants to request CLI on her another revolving account-Amex Everyday card too. Does she has to wait for a certain time to make such a request given the fact that she recently requested an increase on her another card with Amex which got approved, or she can request anytime now because no any request was made for CLI on this another card that she is seeking to get CLI? If she has to wait then how long for? Also, she has a big credit limit on Everyday card, so what amount she should ask for which would be considered a reasonable one and doesn't trigger POI? Spending or showing activities is necessary on Amex cards before asking for any CLI? Would it be SP or HP? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Message 5298 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

It should be soft pull and spending/activity isn't crucial, but the timeline is for your account, not per card. If she just did it on the Blue, no harm in trying on the Everyday just to see if it works, but I'm thinking it'll take the 180 days.

Stick to under $30k if she wants to avoid POI, but can also ask big then hit the back button if they request POI and try a lower amount.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5299 of 5,432
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

One of my friends has 2 revolving accounts (Amex Blue and Amex Everyday) and one charge card (Gold) for the last 23 years and never requested any CLI nor Amex offered her any increase. Just 5 days ago she requested CLI very first time in 23 years on her Amex Blue card 3x and got approved instantly. Now she wants to request CLI on her Amex Everyday card too. Does she has to wait for a certain time to make such a request give the fact that she recently requested an increase on her another card with Amex which got approve, or she can requested anytime now because no any request was made for CLI on the card that she is seeking to get CLI? If she has to wait then how long? Also, she has a big credit limit on Everyday card, so what time she should ask which would be considered a reasonable and doesn't trigger POI? Spending or showing activities is necessary on Amex cards before asking for any CLI? Would it be SP or HP? Please share your experience. Thanks.

She will need to wait at least 180 days for the next CLI opportunity on the other card (AmEx Everyday).  CLI requests are SP. 

Message 5300 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.