Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

Great thanks for the info.  From what I see requesting a limit that goes past 25k could trigger an income verification.  

I got a cli to $30,000 with no problem. When I 1st requested $34,500, income verification was triggered. This was just 2 weeks ago. So, you can be approved for more than $25,000 without a trigger, but you also can trigger BEFORE $35,000.

Message 5331 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

Glad to see more recent evidence for it more at $35k. When June comes around, I'll probably shoot to get to either $30 or $34. $34 to get as high as possible, but $30 is a more livable number because it's an even increment of 5.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5332 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted about this pages and years ago both in this thread and in its own thread, but when I was at $30k I requested $50k and backed my way down $49k, $48k etc. and finally got an approval at $35k.  I then was able to get $5k (but not more) CLIs every 6 months without IV.  So on my file, $35k was definitely the first threshold point I ran into.

Message 5333 of 5,432
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

OK so double checking on something after reading the 3X CLI thread.

Today is 181-days since I requested a CLI for BCP and was approved.

I mistakingly tried for a CLI on both Amex Business accounts 11-days later and was denied on both.

Can a CLI be request now on one of those business accounts 181-days after the BCP approval, or do I have to wait until 181-days after the Business accounts denial? After reading the information I am guessing its the "181-days after the BCP approval"...but wanted to make sure.

Also, the business account that I want to get a CLI on originally had a SL of $2K. But I moved some from another account making it now $5K. Can I request 3X of the $2K ie asking for $6K more making my total on that account now $11K? I know, confusing... Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 5334 of 5,432
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

I mistakingly tried for a CLI on both Amex Business accounts 11-days later and was denied on both.

Can a CLI be request now on one of those business accounts 181-days after the BCP approval, or do I have to wait until 181-days after the Business accounts denial? After reading the information I am guessing its the "181-days after the BCP approval"...but wanted to make sure.

Also, the business account that I want to get a CLI on originally had a SL of $2K. But I moved some from another account making it now $5K. Can I request 3X of the $2K ie asking for $6K more making my total on that account now $11K? I know, confusing... Smiley LOL

OK so I am at a loss here to understand.

I decided not to wait for a reply and try for a CLI on the Amex Prime Card. Since that one had an original SL of $10K (moved $3K to my other account months ago) rather than try for 3X, I was conservative and went for 2X ($20K) and I got the 7-10 day notice (i.e. denied Smiley Mad). I am squeaky clean with AMEX. Waited the 181-days, 4 cards with them including GOLD and Util 2%. Not sure what the issue is. I was expecting to get something (counter) not denied. Let's see what this letter says. 

Potential Future Cards
Message 5335 of 5,432
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

I don't know anything about the interaction of biz and personal Amex cards, so I have nothing to say about your first question. 

But the second one... confusing, yes. I don't see where $11k comes from. Are you asking if your CLI cap is based on $2k or $5k? The answer is $5k. So you can request a new CL of $15k. If granted, that would be 3x. 

Message 5336 of 5,432
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As a reminder, questions and discussions regarding business accounts belong in the Business Credit subforum, not here. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5337 of 5,432
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

As a reminder, questions and discussions regarding business accounts belong in the Business Credit subforum, not here. 

Potential Future Cards
Message 5338 of 5,432
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

I don't know anything about the interaction of biz and personal Amex cards, so I have nothing to say about your first question. 

But the second one... confusing, yes. I don't see where $11k comes from. Are you asking if your CLI cap is based on $2k or $5k? The answer is $5k. So you can request a new CL of $15k. If granted, that would be 3x. 

Yeah, my $11K was wrong, sorry about that.

So your saying even though the original SL was $2K but I moved $3K over to it thus making it $5K, I could have asked for 3 x $5K? I was thinking AMEX would go by my original SL and then 3X that (3 x $2K) meaning I would only get a $1K increase, if that makes any sense (I think I am making this more confusing than it should be lol)

It's moot now, because I got the dreaded 7-10 notification, and we all know what that is.

Potential Future Cards
Message 5339 of 5,432
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Ok so im not shocked bc i have read on here when people start out with a 1k limit its very hard to grow. BUT, what i thought was strange was the reason. And also what the rep told me about when I can apply next. 

So the 2 reasons on the letter were 1. Length of time with amex too short (i waited until like 62 days) 2. Inquiries.

So i chatted with amex and asked if i had somehow miscalculated and asked too soon. He said you can ask anytime you want but once you have been denied, you have to wait 180 days to ask again. I thought it was 91 days between denials? Anyone have experience here? I mean, not a huge a deal but dang, 6 months?

Message 5340 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.