Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Yes, i understand that. What im asking is if i get another amex in nov after the 180 days, can i immediately apply for cli on the new amex? Or would i still have to wait 60 days on the new card?
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 3391 of 5,432
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

You can try and ask for an immediate increase, but I don't believe you will be granted an increase. The rule is 180 days from the last CLI. So if you open a new account in November after you asked for an increase on your older Amex, you need to wait 180 days from the last increase regardless.

I did something similar to what you are asking. I opened 2 Amex revolvers last summer got my 6 month increase in January. Opened a BCP in march of this year...moved limits around to make the BCP $10k. When six months from my last increase came around I asked for 3x on my BCP and it was granted. So for me it is as approx 4 months since opening up my card when I asked for the increase, but kept to the timeline of 6 month since my last ask...hopefully this makes sense. Good luck with whatever you decide
Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 3392 of 5,432
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@601fluguy wrote:
Yes, i understand that. What im asking is if i get another amex in nov after the 180 days, can i immediately apply for cli on the new amex? Or would i still have to wait 60 days on the new card?

Ah, that's a good question actually. I think it depends on your credit profile since it seems to be a YMMV situation. There have been some success stories of people getting a CLI upon receiving and activating a new card. Let's hope Gardener or someone else responds with a more definitive answer to that.

Message 3393 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Day 61 - requested 3k on my current 1k ED recieved 7-10 day message

EX Fico jumped to 713 last week - I didn't bother checking when last SP was like I should.

Heavy usage, PIF before first statement cut and let it report 2nd month and PIF 

Any insight on if because day 61 is a weekend I need to wait until Monday to try again?

Message 3394 of 5,432
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Try tomorrow and see what happens. Sometimes you'll have to wait the full 180/181 days before you get a CLI.
Message 3395 of 5,432
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

EX Fico jumped to 713 last week - I didn't bother checking when last SP was like I should.

Any insight on if because day 61 is a weekend I need to wait until Monday to try again?

Sorry to hear about that 7-10 msg. Just from my experience and others can/will chime in on this a $500-$1k SL approval with Amex is considered "borderline" and they tend to be a little more stingy with giving out credit line increases until you have established some history with them. Certainly check your last Fico update to see when they pulled new info perhaps just missed an update. And also, double check your card opening date perhaps you my have miscalculated your days and if so you tried to early and could try again in the next few days. 

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 3396 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear about that 7-10 msg. Just from my experience and others can/will chime in on this a $500-$1k SL approval with Amex is considered "borderline" and they tend to be a little more stingy with giving out credit line increases until you have established some history with them. Certainly check your last Fico update to see when they pulled new info perhaps just missed an update. And also, double check your card opening date perhaps you my have miscalculated your days and if so you tried to early and could try again in the next few days. 

The 7-10 message with me (started out with a 1k limit) was a "you tried too early" message. I was at day 65 at that point. I tried again in 90 days and had no problem getting the 3X CLI. Getting a 3X early on like that with a low SL rarely gets one. Wait til your AMEX page FICO score goes up and then try again, no harm, because they're always a SP.

Message 3397 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@601fluguy wrote:

Ah, that's a good question actually. I think it depends on your credit profile since it seems to be a YMMV situation. There have been some success stories of people getting a CLI upon receiving and activating a new card. Let's hope Gardener or someone else responds with a more definitive answer to that.

CLI's are granted on the account, but are card specific. You have card #1, you get a CLI on it, 2 months later, you get a different card, the next available CLI is 180 days from your getting a CLI on Card#1, regardless how many cards you have/get.

Message 3398 of 5,432
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 3399 of 5,432
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 3400 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.