Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@HeavenOhio

Or several letters if you've backed out several times. Or many letters neatly rubber-banded together. You can ignore them all.

Yup.  I think my record was 21 letters at once.  Blackjack.  I got one of those nice thick rubber bands, too.

Message 4171 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Today is Day 62. I checked my Experian report and saw they did a pull a week ago when I was at 725.

I was around 664 when they approved me for $1000 and I received the credit steps email. So, I kept a statement closing balance of about $30 and used the card a lot making frequent payments.

Clicked the request today and went for 2X CLI and was instant approved!

Happy for the increase and appreciative of the information in this post.

Why not 3K?? 🤨☹️😟

Good question. I thought 2X CLI was the best I could do having received the credit steps email.

Message 4172 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the future, always request a 3X CLI.  If all you are able to get is a 2X CLI, that's what they'll give you.  That way you know that you didn't leave 1X on the table.

Message 4173 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In the future, always request a 3X CLI.  If all you are able to get is a 2X CLI, that's what they'll give you.  That way you know that you didn't leave 1X on the table.

Thank you. Learning.

Message 4174 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I jumped the gun a little bit. I thought today was my 180 day mark but it’s actually not for a another few weeks. It turns out that my last cli with Amex was on 12/01/17. I’ll try for an increase in a few weeks.
Message 4175 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I jumped the gun today and received the 7-10 day. Called in to ask for the reason for denial and the csr stated that my payments have been too low and something around the lines that my income is insufficient to the amount of revolving credit... (forgot what it is exactly because I was already fuming earlier; kept my calm though and was still nice to the csr) Can anyone comment on this? My current income is at $110k/yr and I have been charging and paying of in full... 

frustrating but I hope its just an SP. CSR said to try again after 90 days...

Message 4176 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

99% of denial reasons are just BS fluff.  If you're denied a CLI it's because "your profile doesn't warrant a CLI at this time."  That's basically it.  Sure, they'll try to sugar coat it with a nice reason, but for whatever "reason" it is that they're denying you, there's someone else that had that same exact thing going on that was approved. 

It's like someone with 7 inquiries that gets denied for "too many inquiries" and their 2 buddies were approved but have 19 and 25 inquiries apiece.  Clearly, the 7 inquiries weren't the real reason for denial, but rather just some fluff BS.

Message 4177 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've searched this topic and can't find exactly what I need, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered...

I am coming up on 61 days since opening my Amex Everyday card.  My starting line was $1300 which was too low for me to really make use of the card the way I wanted to, so I transferred $1700 of limit from my Delta Amex, bringing my Everyday credit line to $3000.

I am getting ready to request my 3x increase and wondered if I can ask for 3x my current limit of $3000, or if it would be best to request 3x my starting limit of $1300.

Message 4178 of 5,432
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I would ask for the full $9k. No point in shorting yourself and they'll counter assuming you don't get approved for the whole amount.

Message 4179 of 5,432
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Advise please! I'm looking to initiate several SP CLIs in the near future to help pad utilization and wonder what to do with my Amex accounts. A few general datapoints:

Opened my card several years ago with a $5k SL. Never requested a CLI but have received several auto-increases, all while carrying a balance. (I know people say this is frowned upon with Amex but.. life and they've given me increases in spite of). Anyway, first auto cli took me to $7k and then last year within 2-3 months got bumped to $11k and then $13k. No baddies on my report. Never late. Always throw extra money at Amex which is easily $1-2k per month. I have another Amex that has been stuck at $1k the whole time. The one receiving the auto-increases has been my main driver. I'm sure you can figure out what cards I'm referring to from my siggy.. only other Amex I've added is the Plat. Perhaps Amex is enjoying making money off of me (while it lasts) but like most hate rejection which is why I have never asked for more.

Ideally, I would love to take the one that has received auto-increases to 3x but would honestly be happy with $20-$25k. I'm thinking I could then transfer some of that balance to the smaller card and go for the 3x CLI on that in 181 days.

Thoughts, feedback or someone with a similar experience? Should I go for it with the main driver? Or play it safe with the smaller card to see where I stand with Amex in terms of CLIs? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(ps - happy to answer any questions to get to the best answer).

In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 4180 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.