Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

You should have no problem going +$5k on one of the cards.  Slow and steady is the method once you've already gotten to relatively high Amex limits.

I'll be making an attempt next week to go from $50k --> $55k on my lone Amex (BCE) card.  I absolutely do not need that limit, but am really curious where my ceiling with them is.

Message 4491 of 5,432
BlueMystic
New Contributor

An anecdote for the pile.

Opened my SPG AmEx early December. $1k limit. Used it heavily to get the 75k SUB, making several mid-cycle payments along the way. I also have a Plat (opened November 2018) and am putting about $5k a month through it.

Requested a CLI online ~65 days after the account opened. Got 7-10 day message. Received the letter today saying it was declined because "Your account must be open for at least 60 days." Given I was absolutely certain of my account opening date, I thought that was odd, so I called. The representative confirmed that my online request was made AFTER the 60 day mark, so there was some kind of glitch. I doubt the glitch is limited to just me, so that's something for others to keep in mind if you get that message.

He offered to try again while he had me on the phone. I said sure, and requested a $15k increase (my Barclays limit is $50k, and I'd very much like it if they weren't my only high-limit revolver). They approved the request for - you guessed it - a $2k increase for a total of $3k. Baby steps, I guess. I'm just glad to be back in with AmEx and building a good relationship after decades on the notorious blacklist. (More on that here and here.)

FICO is about 710 (I have a couple lates from early last year). Income ~500k.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I asked the rep, "So when can I ask again? Six months?" And he said "Yes, exactly... well, you can ask again in 4 months to be honest with you." Take it with salt, of course... FWIW.

EDIT 2: Also forgot to mention that I noticed this past weekend that I am now pre-approved for all of their cards (this was not the case when I checked in late January – back then, I was pre-approved only for the Delta and Hilton cards). Although interestingly, today I'm pre-approved for all EXCEPT the Green Card. 🤣

Message 4492 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlueMystic wrote:

An anecdote for the pile.

Opened my SPG AmEx early December. $1k limit. Used it heavily to get the 75k SUB, making several mid-cycle payments along the way. I also have a Plat (opened November 2018) and am putting about $5k a month through it.

Requested a CLI online ~65 days after the account opened. Got 7-10 day message. Received the letter today saying it was declined because "Your account must be open for at least 60 days." Given I was absolutely certain of my account opening date, I thought that was odd, so I called. The representative confirmed that my online request was made AFTER the 60 day mark, so there was some kind of glitch. I doubt the glitch is limited to just me, so that's something for others to keep in mind if you get that message.

He offered to try again while he had me on the phone. I said sure, and requested a $15k increase (my Barclays limit is $50k, and I'd very much like it if they weren't my only high-limit revolver). They approved the request for - you guessed it - a $2k increase for a total of $3k. Baby steps, I guess. I'm just glad to be back in with AmEx and building a good relationship after decades on the notorious blacklist. (More on that here and here.)

FICO is about 710 (I have a couple lates from early last year). Income ~500k.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I asked the rep, "So when can I ask again? Six months?" And he said "Yes, exactly... well, you can ask again in 4 months to be honest with you." Take it with salt, of course... FWIW.

I suppose mine is a silly question, but will ask anyway -- the Amex days are calendar, not business right?

Message 4493 of 5,432
BlueMystic
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose mine is a silly question, but will ask anyway -- the Amex days are calendar, not business right?

Ordinarily it would be a silly question, but based on what happened to me, it's not that silly! But yes, their policy is 60 calendar days. If it were 60 business days, I still wouldn't have been eligible.

Message 4494 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlueMystic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ordinarily it would be a silly question, but based on what happened to me, it's not that silly! But yes, their policy is 60 calendar days. If it were 60 business days, I still wouldn't have been eligible.

Ok good to know, thanks! Ironically, google sheets tells me 61 calendar days from my Jan 30 Amex account opening is 4/1, aka, "April Fool's."  I'll be waiting until April 2nd...  Smiley Happy

Message 4495 of 5,432
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Thursday I’m shooting for 25K on the BCP 

👀🕺🏼🕺🏼

Message 4496 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776 wrote:

Thursday I’m shooting for 25K on the BCP 

👀🕺🏼🕺🏼

Good luck!

Message 4497 of 5,432
DrewH

Adding a data point...

Requested CLI on my Blue Cash to 35k from 25k and got POI message. Canceled and resubmitted for 30k and was approved instantly.

Income: 130k

FICO: TU 807, EXP 788, EQ 785

Total credit (amex + non-amex): 75k

Utilization: ~2%

TU 807, EX 788, EQ 785
Message 4498 of 5,432
tinabohio
Valued Member

So, because I'm sick, and I just want to be sure I'm correct on the date, if I was approved for the card December 31st, is that the date I go with? Or the date I activated?
Again, I've got a killer cold, so I'm iffy on if I should ask on March 2nd, or after. The things my brain decides to focus on, lol.

tia!
Message 4499 of 5,432
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Ask Amex your starting date that's what I did and then calculate it and say Ok my 61 days is on the >>>?      They will tell you yes or no Smiley Very Happy    And good luck feel better 

Message 4500 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.