Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex 3X CLI??? What should I do?

Financial review (FR) won't happen, but there's an outside chance that you'll be asked for income verification (IV). This is an important distinction.

Financial review happens after strange spending habits are detected, and there's no opting out. A request for income verification can happen when seeking additional credit.

As mentioned, IV requests can be ignored. People have used the back button to lower their CLI requests, followed by a bundle of IV paperwork in the mail. It can be shredded or used as wallpaper.

A request for 30k probably won't trigger an IV request, but it's possible that it could. Generally, a large bump that takes you over 35k generates the request.

Message 4861 of 5,432
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ask for $30K. If it pops asking for income verification, back out and do $29K, then $28K, etc. until it doesn't ask. 

Yeah Amex said "Nah Fam....Hard Pass".  I asked for the 30k and got the thanks you will get a written response in 7-10 days. I also got the check you application online email. However when I try to access it I get....Sorry, your application cannot be accessed.
Please try again later. 

I'm not sure how I missed this. I think there have been some recent bugs in the system. You might want to check with customer service.

Message 4862 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:  I just got off the Amex Chat because it wouldn't show me my CLI decision online. The CSR did say it was a technical clitch AND he confirmed that I was indeed denied. The big thing is however, the rep said was that I would only be eligible for a CLI after 180 days not 61. So that's that I guess I'll just have to wait for the letter in the mail to see what it says.

Message 4863 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I don't pull the trigger on exactly 61/2 - do I miss the chance for the 3x CLI? 

My second statement closes on the 22nd-  i've spent $2.6k on it so far and have a balance of $300. I'd assume i'm eligible for this... hopefully.

Message 4864 of 5,432
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I don't pull the trigger on exactly 61/2 - do I miss the chance for the 3x CLI? 

My second statement closes on the 22nd-  i've spent $2.6k on it so far and have a balance of $300. I'd assume i'm eligible for this... hopefully.

Nope, you can request anytime after 61 days. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4865 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope, you can request anytime after 61 days. 

Excellent! Thanks!

giphy (3).gif

Message 4866 of 5,432
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...The big thing is however, the rep said was that I would only be eligible for a CLI after 180 days not 61. ...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is:

- You are eligible 61 days after opening the account

- If approved, you have to wait six months (~180 days) to try for another CLI

- If denied, you have to wait 91 days to try again

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4867 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

...The big thing is however, the rep said was that I would only be eligible for a CLI after 180 days not 61. ...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is:

- You are eligible 61 days after opening the account

- If approved, you have to wait six months (~180 days) to try for another CLI

- If denied, you have to wait 91 days to try again

This is correct. Only other thing I would add, is that the CLI you either receive or are denied for is across the board if you have multiple cards. The CLI is per customer, not card. If you have more than one card, you can only get 1 CLI per seeking session. 

Message 4868 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Initial credit limit was given for $20000. Did a CLI after 61 days and it got approved for $34900. After 180 days submitted another request for $39900. I was told that a letter will be sent in 7-10 days. Credit score is decent enough (706). CL sitting at 210K. Usage 23%. I don't know what went wrong.

Message 4869 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

Initial credit limit was given for $20000. Did a CLI after 61 days and it got approved for $34900. After 180 days submitted another request for $39900. I was told that a letter will be sent in 7-10 days. Credit score is decent enough (706). CL sitting at 210K. Usage 23%. I don't know what went wrong.

Excuse me while I dabble in a bit of snarkiness... "I don't know what went wrong" What? You started out with a 20K starting limit, got that bumped up to 34.9K and now you're upset they won't give you more?

Ummm... It takes a lot more time (1+ years) for a great majority of people to even get to 20K!

Now that I got that out of my system, 35K is a general rule of thumb amongst most with experience with AMEX to be the ceiling unless you're prepared to turn over tax documents to prove income and what-not.

Message 4870 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.