Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Which Amex to Request a CLI

@Cred4All wrote:

Believe I found my answer from K-In-Boston on here from 2018...  can move limits around once per 31 days.

@Cred4All, That is 100% correct.

Message 4991 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems according to my calendar that I'm already at 181 days, but I'm waiting on them to make the first move. 

Actually not sure I will or not, don't really need it. Though I'm kind of curious where I'll get maxed out at. 

Message 4992 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

DENIED! I let my eagerness get the best of me today and went for it, got the dreaded 7-10 day message. I was at least expecting a counter offer. Unless it's too early, but I'm sure I counted correctly. Now I'll have to sit in that 90 day corner...

Message 4993 of 5,432
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

DENIED! I let my eagerness get the best of me today and went for it, got the dreaded 7-10 day message. I was at least expecting a counter offer. Unless it's too early, but I'm sure I counted correctly. Now I'll have to sit in that 90 day corner...

Sorry for you denial, gotta be frustrating Smiley Indifferent

Message 4994 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I hope someone can tell me when, how much, and which card.

First Amex revolver was opened March '19 with an $8000 CL. It was increased in Sept/Oct. to $12,000, at my request.

Since then, I acquired two more Amexes in November and one more this month. With CL swaps and stuff it now stands at:

Card 1, $3000 (Originally 8, then 12)

Card 2, $4000 (no change)

Card 3, $12,000 (originally 3)

Card 4, $5,000 (no change)

So my understanding is that I should apply in March or April (six months since last increase) and do it on the first card, that was $12,000 and is now $3,000. Is that correct?

And what limit should I be requesting - 3x3,000, 3x12,000 or something else? 

Message 4995 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you would want to ask on the card with the highest CL currently. Wich is card #3 @ $12K and may possibly get 3X that and be able to reallocate as necessary. However there's no guarantee of a 3X increase so YMMV.  As in your instance you went from $8K to $12K, certainly not 3X. 

But generally people always ask for a CLI on their highest limit card for a bigger increas to spread out, or to simply haev one with the highest CL. But there's not set rule, you can do whatever you wish. Either having one card with a high limit for spend UT purposes, and leave the others as is. Or just increase the one you consider your daily driver? Seems that #3 is higher by your choice for whaever reasons, so perhaps this is the one you use more often.  

Just keep in mind the $35K max limit and go from there. You are still new to them so that will also play into their decision on what they approves, as well as your spend.

Good Luck!

Message 4996 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, you would want to ask on the card with the highest CL currently. Wich is card #3 @ $12K and may possibly get 3X that and be able to reallocate as necessary. However there's no guarantee of a 3X increase so YMMV.  As in your instance you went from $8K to $12K, certainly not 3X. 

But generally people always ask for a CLI on their highest limit card for a bigger increas to spread out, or to simply haev one with the highest CL. But there's not set rule, you can do whatever you wish. Either having one card with a high limit for spend UT purposes, and leave the others as is. Or just increase the one you consider your daily driver? Seems that #3 is higher by your choice for whaever reasons, so perhaps this is the one you use more often.  

Just keep in mind the $35K max limit and go from there. You are still new to them so that will also play into their decision on what they approves, as well as your spend.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your help! To clarify, I'd only requested $12,000 so I don't know what I'd have received if I'd been more bold. Smiley Wink That's why I'm making sure to ask.

My major Amex use (aside from Charge cards) is for fulfilling sign-up bonuses and interest-free spend in the US. None of them can be daily drivers as most of my spend is in Canada where their multipliers don't work and there's 2.7% FTF. So it goes to Amex Charge cards, Capital One and Paypal.

Number 3, a blue cash daily, has the biggest limit because it was the most recent card with 0% interest (It only has about $1300 on it). By the time I'm ready to apply, most of the limit will be on the new Cash Magnet.

Message 4997 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i normally only ask for $5K increases, and all previous CLI's have been approved. So this recent denial makes me think i asked for too much compared to my past requests and spend pattern. Eagerly awaiting that notice to find out the reason. lol

Message 4998 of 5,432
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Good luck to both of you!

Also, 35k isn't a set limit.  Lots of DP of people being approved for more without IV.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 4999 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the notice today and it reads, we were unable to approve your request if increase for following reasons.

Income you provided is insufficient to your overal debt obligations, as reflected in our records or on you CR.

Your recent payments are too low relevant to your requested total line and your debt obligations with us. 

So somewhat interesting considering I PIF on every card with them excpet BBP, wich only has a $1,300 balance as of a couple days ago. And I have been making an average of $400 per month payments since the BT 10 months ago. 

Based on past posts about overall total CL related to being half one's Income I can kind of see why I was denied. If I can;t get an increase on this particular card in 91 days, then I'll just close one and reallocate to it.

Message 5000 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.