Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Well actually my goal is to build a super amex revolver. 

I would use the new card, whichever i pick as a donor card to my HH CL. This and some CLI's would hopefully allow me to have an amex revolver around $50K as a short term goal or north this amount as time and profile allows. The best part of it, is that by doing it this way i can be for the most part stress free of a 4506T.

I understand that by doing this i would have to wait 1 year for the newer card to be able to donate, which is fine by me. (As i find more useful the Hilton line than the Delta). So yeah, i want to build a card as high as i can get in the most hassle free manner. Smiley Happy

My gut says if i do CLI first and then apply for the new amex that this CLI could infer on the SL given on the new card, probably giving me a lower SL (I'm not sure, we can't really know). But if i SL first, aka ask for the Delta Gold and then pursue a CLI it is most likely that the SL of the new card will remain unnafected and then i can work on the CLIs. 

In any case, i think i expect a higher CL from an SL than just by CLI my Hilton Honors. As my Hilton Honors is already reaching a high CL i don't expect Amex to be as generous with this card continous growing. 

Thoughts? I'm about to pull the trigger very soon. 

PS: My entry to Amex was really wonderful! In just 2 months of being a new amex cardmember i had my HH at 30K! In contrast, with citi it took me 2 years to get an equivalent CL lol

Message 5131 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

In that case, I'd say go for the new card and immediately try for a 3X CLI on that card since it qualifies based on your account (so you sacrifice the HH CLI to get the new card CLI immediately). Then in 6 months, take your pick of which of the two you want to go for a CLI on again, then move limits.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5132 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just keep in mind Amex's max ceiling with their cardholders, and if yours happens to be $50K then it means secondary cards will see much lower CL's.

I'm pretty much at my ceiling with them and I have 5 revolvers to share CL's with.

Message 5133 of 5,432
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

"..Minimum 6 month since last CLI rule applies across ALL accounts held by an individual and includes both personal & business accounts for the same person. So if CLI was successful on a personal account, no CLI can be approved on all other personal and business accounts for the same person for a period of 6 more months..."

Copying this DP from a 7.5 year old post - just checking if anyone knows if this still applies today? Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 5134 of 5,432
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You could always be the data point you want Smiley LOL

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5135 of 5,432
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

"..Minimum 6 month since last CLI rule applies across ALL accounts held by an individual and includes both personal & business accounts for the same person. So if CLI was successful on a personal account, no CLI can be approved on all other personal and business accounts for the same person for a period of 6 more months..."

Copying this DP from a 7.5 year old post - just checking if anyone knows if this still applies today? Smiley Happy

Yup. A CLI on one card will prevent eligibility for a CLI on another for six months (181 days). However, unlike regular denials, no clock will be reset if you happen to request too soon.

Message 5136 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

That's still true, RSX had posted in here within the past month about using his eligibility from another account to get a 3X CLI on his brand new card.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5137 of 5,432
Deuter
Regular Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
In that case, I'd say go for the new card and immediately try for a 3X CLI on that card since it qualifies based on your account (so you sacrifice the HH CLI to get the new card CLI immediately). Then in 6 months, take your pick of which of the two you want to go for a CLI on again, then move limits.

Guys, i tried to apply some days ago and when i click submit i am not eligible for welcome bonus on the Delta Gold. No bonus at all, i don't know because i have never had a Delta card and only have 1 Amex, i guess it is something automatic in the algo that triggers me as a non profitable customer, ie lower spender for the amount of bonus. I got top offer for my Hilton Honors.

Anyways, i have tried aiming for the 50K miles on the Delta Gold and no dice. So i really have not added another amex because at 35K miles the Delta Gold for being a card i wont use longer than a year i think it's maybe not worth it.

Message 5138 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

Any luck with trying an Incognito session? Could work, but could also be considered poking the bear so who knows.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5139 of 5,432
Deuter
Regular Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Any luck with trying an Incognito session? Could work, but could also be considered poking the bear so who knows.

Nope, i tried to apply via incognito, cold app and got hitted by the no bonus disclaimer Smiley Sad. I have not tried another card or using a referral or something. Probably the link that i used for the 50K is getting retired? Clueless..

Message 5140 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.