cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Amex 61 3x question

I do have a question I notice under my Blue Cash Everyday card it says request to upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred. Is that card better? Or can you get a higher limit?

Message 5201 of 5,235
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Amex 61 3x question


@Ivylicious1908 wrote:

I do have a question I notice under my Blue Cash Everyday card it says request to upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred. Is that card better? Or can you get a higher limit?


It's "better" if you fit the group of people that spend just enough but not much or too little and can max out the spend requirement to make the annual fee worth it.

 

Don't know whether it usually gets higher limits or not though.

as of 11/20/20
Current Cards:
Message 5202 of 5,235
Highlighted
New Member

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Signed up to share my experience getting limits above 24-25k without tax forms, since that info gets a little buried in this thread.

 

Background; 2 players, 2 BCE cards

~1st player; 800+ fico, has been 850 at times.

~2nd player; 750-805 fico, no negative strikes, just lack of credit history.

 

First things first, use the 3x rule every 6 months to get your limit to 24-25k. This seems to be the first limit.

 

~1st player CLI;  24.5k -> 34.5k -> 39k (forgot to try 39.5) Shows 43k due to a cruise refund, will be interesting if that helps the next CLI.

~2nd player CLI;  24k -> 34k -> 39k

 

The denial, and the BACK button.  When you request too high and get the screen that says "A letter with our decision will be mailed in 7-10 days",  hit the browser BACK button to get back to the account services page. Then request another lower CLI.  The first time I did this I was at 24k and went for 3x = 72k, then 71k, 70k, -1k each request just to make sure I wasn't leaving CLI on the table.  You will get about 50 letters in the mail for each denial.Smiley Very Happy

 

Thank you for this thread and I hope this helps someone. If anyone has limit help above where we are at, I'd love to hear it. But I'm guessing I might be stuck at 5k CLI from here on out. What are the limits people have received giving AMEX your tax info? What is the highest without?

Message 5203 of 5,235
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Thank you Quest!!!

Message 5204 of 5,235
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I am at 100 days since my last CLI request (denied) on my BCE w/ a $2k limit. My plan is to wait until my EX8 updates on AMEX's end around the 20th of this month from last months 713 w/ 40% agg UTI to my current 744 w/ 24% agg UTI. 

I have read through this thread thoroughly as well as any other DP's I can find on MyFico and I am sure this question has been asked before, but getting some insight would be appreciated either way.


AMEX still tends to use old credit reports for CLI and card approvals for current members, correct?

How long should I wait after my score is updated on AMEX's site to request a CLI?

Should I wait until I see preapproval for other AMEX cards before hitting the CLI button?


This is my only AMEX card opened in 2015. Last CLI was maybe 3 years ago. Has been PIF with $0 balance reported the last 6 months. 

Thanks!

 



AoOA- 7 - AAoA - 4.6 - Clean Profile - 23% UTI - 10k/44k Limits

Message 5205 of 5,235
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: CLI Strategy- Current report


@mickvain wrote:

I am at 100 days since my last CLI request (denied) on my BCE w/ a $2k limit. My plan is to wait until my EX8 updates on AMEX's end around the 20th of this month from last months 713 w/ 40% agg UTI to my current 744 w/ 24% agg UTI. 

I have read through this thread thoroughly as well as any other DP's I can find on MyFico and I am sure this question has been asked before, but getting some insight would be appreciated either way.


AMEX still tends to use old credit reports for CLI and card approvals for current members, correct?

How long should I wait after my score is updated on AMEX's site to request a CLI?

Should I wait until I see preapproval for other AMEX cards before hitting the CLI button?


This is my only AMEX card opened in 2015. Last CLI was maybe 3 years ago. Has been PIF with $0 balance reported the last 6 months. 

Thanks!

 


Typically, that's the best route once AmEx has SP'd and your refreshed score is updated.  What were the reasons cited for the last declined CLI?  Have you addressed those specific items?

Message 5206 of 5,235
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: CLI Strategy- Current report

@FinStar 

Yes, too many accounts with balances, balances to limit on revolving, and short credit history. I believe I was at over 70% UTI AGG at last request. Now the short history is always an item on any AA letters. Oldest revolving account 6yrs 11mths, AAoA 4 years 5 mth.



AoOA- 7 - AAoA - 4.6 - Clean Profile - 23% UTI - 10k/44k Limits

Message 5207 of 5,235
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: CLI Strategy- Current report


@mickvain wrote:

@FinStar 

Yes, too many accounts with balances, balances to limit on revolving, and short credit history. I believe I was at over 70% UTI AGG at last request. Now the short history is always an item on any AA letters. Oldest revolving account 6yrs 11mths, AAoA 4 years 5 mth.


Ok thanks for providing some of the background with the last CLI attempt.  I would definitely wait until you see the EX scores updated on the AmEx portal.  Use your judgment to determine if it's within the threshold or waiting another month would yield better results.  The more optimized your overall profile, the better those odds increase in your favor, especially with today's lending environment.

Message 5208 of 5,235
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide


@GoOldMember wrote:

Signed up to share my experience getting limits above 24-25k without tax forms, since that info gets a little buried in this thread.

 

Background; 2 players, 2 BCE cards

~1st player; 800+ fico, has been 850 at times.

~2nd player; 750-805 fico, no negative strikes, just lack of credit history.

 

First things first, use the 3x rule every 6 months to get your limit to 24-25k. This seems to be the first limit.

 

~1st player CLI;  24.5k -> 34.5k -> 39k (forgot to try 39.5) Shows 43k due to a cruise refund, will be interesting if that helps the next CLI.

~2nd player CLI;  24k -> 34k -> 39k

 

The denial, and the BACK button.  When you request too high and get the screen that says "A letter with our decision will be mailed in 7-10 days",  hit the browser BACK button to get back to the account services page. Then request another lower CLI.  The first time I did this I was at 24k and went for 3x = 72k, then 71k, 70k, -1k each request just to make sure I wasn't leaving CLI on the table.  You will get about 50 letters in the mail for each denial.Smiley Very Happy

 

Thank you for this thread and I hope this helps someone. If anyone has limit help above where we are at, I'd love to hear it. But I'm guessing I might be stuck at 5k CLI from here on out. What are the limits people have received giving AMEX your tax info? What is the highest without?


Welcome! A prominent advocate of the $5k-every-6-months approach around here is @BrutalBodyShots. That member got all the way to $59,900 using this technique, with minimal spend and no income verification. There's a thread about it here


Message 5209 of 5,235
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Amex CLI questions....

1. Is there a way to tell when you last requested  a CLI after you log in ??

2. Can you request a CLI with your EX report frozen ??

 

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 5210 of 5,235
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.