Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The odds to get Citi Premier approval

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The odds to get Citi Premier approval

I may apply to Citi Premier soon (Fico8~800, 4/12, the last card that I applied was 6 months ago, inquiries in the past year~4). I do not carry balance on cards and not sure whether it is a factor to get denied (I saw several inconsistent comments over the internet on Citi to reject applications).

What is the odd to get approved for this card? Is it feasible to PC this card in the second year to Custom Cash or Costco?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
artaqua403

Re: The odds to get Citi Premier approval

Keep in mind for Citi that once you PC to Costco, you can't PC to anything else.  I'm not much help on the first part.

Message 2 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I am aware of that. Since Premier has a high SUB, my inital plan is going for this card and after the first year, potentially PC that to another card without AF. I am looking for feedbacks regarding this plan.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Mixed bag as you stated.  You should be fine, but it is the best bonus out there right now for card sign-up imho.  i will also being going for this card on the 30th once my house is close.  I am at 3/24 and still a bit worried as well.  although you will likely get approved, but sometimes you hear denial reasons of to much unused credit, etc.  you won't know unless you try.  Best of luck!

Message 4 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I may apply to Citi Premier soon (Fico8~800, 4/12, the last card that I applied was 6 months ago, inquiries in the past year~4). I do not carry balance on cards and not sure whether it is a factor to get denied (I saw several inconsistent comments over the internet on Citi to reject applications).

What is the odd to get approved for this card? Is it feasible to PC this card in the second year to Custom Cash or Costco?

Your not carrying balances shouldn't be an issue.  Their sensitivity to inquiries varies depending on one's overall profile but 4/12 is within their tolerance threshold and being 0/6 is also relevant   Based on info you shared things hint toward a positive outcome if you apply. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I think your odds are good, although Citi has become more inquiry sensitive lately.  I think it's a very good card.  I wouldn't get it just for the purpose of pc'ing it to something else though.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Mixed bag as you stated.  You should be fine, but it is the best bonus out there right now for card sign-up imho.  i will also being going for this card on the 30th once my house is close.  I am at 3/24 and still a bit worried as well.  although you will likely get approved, but sometimes you hear denial reasons of to much unused credit, etc.  you won't know unless you try.  Best of luck!

Last year,  after closing my mortgage, I got rejected on Citi Costco. They used EQ and none of the mortgage inquiries were coded as mortgage there (coded as Miscellaneous Reptg Agencies). Several recon calls did not go anywhere.

After closing mortgage and in a few months, I got multiple cards from Chase, 2x from USBank, Affinity. Except Chase, the others used either EX or TU and they were fine. Chase used both EQ and TU and it got accepted. For Chase, I applied in branch and prior application submission, I told them that I have recent inquiries but they are mortgage related (I was 1/24 at that time and had pre-approval). I guess, the issue was with EQ because the mortgage inquiries were coded correctly in EX and TU. I contacted EQ to fix it and they were simply passing me to the lenders, instead of fixing the issue at their end...

Message 7 of 12
mchang124
Regular Contributor

I would say you have a good chance of getting approved. sounds like you're in california like me. I was approved last week for the card. you can find it here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Citibank-Premier-Credit-Card-Approval/m-p/655...

looks like we have similar credit profiles from the passed two years. last personal cards i applied for was nov of 2020 (PenFed cash rewards; i got the amex business bug and got 7 cards from amex in 2021 from one HP to EX). 

“It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice”
Message 8 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I am in California too. I like the way that you used one HP to get several biz cards. I may go to the biz direction soon, need to fix my biz plan first Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I got approved for 11k. I initially used the prequal website and I almost got pre-approved for every card except this card and Costco. It looks like these two cards are the most difficult ones to get approved while I might be wrong. Anyway, without pre-approval, I decided to give it a try and by a good chance it worked.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.