Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Citi Premier Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thoughts on Citi Premier Application

I have two Citi cards (Home Depot and LLBean) closed and being paid through a DMP. I'd like to apply for the Premier because of the SUB and its points for grocery and gas purchases. Should I wait until those accounts are paid to apply (and likely miss the current SUB) or take a chance and apply now? 

EQ 693

EX 722

TU 717

All three are FICO8 scores. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Thoughts on Citi Premier Application

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two Citi cards (Home Depot and LLBean) closed and being paid through a DMP. I'd like to apply for the Premier because of the SUB and its points for grocery and gas purchases. Should I wait until those accounts are paid to apply (and likely miss the current SUB) or take a chance and apply now? 

EQ 693

EX 722

TU 717

Thanks!

I think it will be tough to get approved with them if you're in a DMP,  most creditors view this as a derogatory notation and I don't think Citi would be likely to approve.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I don't want to waste an inquiry if I don't have it. I can always wait. 

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

EQ 693

EX 722

TU 717

Thanks!

I think it will be tough to get approved with them if you're in a DMP,  most creditors view this as a derogatory notation and I don't think Citi would be likely to approve.

Message 3 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

How much longer do you have in the DMP, and do you have other open revolving accounts?

Also, welcome to the forums !

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I believe I have about 18-24 months left in the DMP, however, I've been paying many of the accounts off in full. Since I want the Citi account, I may move to pay that off and hope to allow some time to pass and perhaps catch another SUB later. 

I currently have a Target MC, Chase Marriott, Ashley Stewart, HSN, and was just approved for the CSP and Apple Card.

Message 5 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

That's great that you already have a good number of cards with other creditors!

DMPs can feel like they last forever, I think I paid for over 4 years on one many years ago.  Anything you can do to pay down faster / earlier is great!

Message 6 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

EQ 693

EX 722

TU 717

Thanks!

This.  You're in a DMP specifically because there were concerns regarding your ability to pay existing debt so it isn't likely that Citi would be prepared at this time to extend you additional credit. 

Worst case is that you might miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime enhanced SUB but you'll have other opportunities down the road when you've exited the DMP to get the card with a nice SUB. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I was just approved for the CSP, which I really wanted, so I don't *have* to have it. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.