cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time of AMEX Soft Pull for Existing Card Members?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Time of AMEX Soft Pull for Existing Card Members?

For existing AMEX card holders, when applying for an additional AMEX card, if AMEX does a soft pull to decide on your approval, do they actually do a new soft pull at the time you apply, or do they just use the last soft pull they did on your account, which could potentially be a lower score?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Time of AMEX Soft Pull for Existing Card Members?

@Repairman wrote:

For existing AMEX card holders, when applying for an additional AMEX card, if AMEX does a soft pull to decide on your approval, do they actually do a new soft pull at the time you apply, or do they just use the last soft pull they did on your account, which could potentially be a lower score?

For me they ran an actual real time SP, but cited their approval decision on the older pull I believe. So yes they check up on you in real time, but they may very well use the score from their previous pull. OR, it could always be a HP right on the spot. YMMM. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 6
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

For me they ran an actual real time SP, but cited their approval decision on the older pull I believe. So yes they check up on you in real time, but they may very well use the score from their previous pull. OR, it could always be a HP right on the spot. YMMM. 

Ok, so I'm thinking I may wait to apply until they do another pull.

Message 3 of 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

Ok, so I'm thinking I may wait to apply until they do another pull.

Well, the thing with that is they are always behind on which pull they're using. So if they update your FICO score on their website, that means that they're very likely still using the score from their previous pull for at least a couple of more weeks. If you are truly wanting them to use a fresh pull I'd give it 3-4 weeks after they pull a snapshot you feel most confident with them using. I know waiting is never fun to hear, but that's just how AMEX rolls with the reports the use. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you check to see if they do a recent SP? 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you check to see if they do a recent SP? 

FWIW I noticed that my credit report from annualcreditreport.com lists all the soft pulls, including AmEx, Credit Karma, etc.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.