Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torn between several cards... and my next move

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Torn between several cards... and my next move

Been a spectator on here for a bit, and I've been inspired (not sure if in the right or wrong direction...lol) towards applying for several different cards. I've been looking at applying for the Chase Freedom Flex as Im 4/24 and I think that should be my next move regardless. I've also been looking at an NFCU card, the Discover IT, a 2% back card (Wells Fargo Active Cash, Citi DC specifically), and sooomewhere down the line Id like an Apple Card (purely for Apple product financing). Ive had a Chase Checking account for about 5 months and I am also a NFCU member for a month or so, and Id like to start taking advantage to strengthen relationships with these 2 lenders. Id only truly want a Discover IT or NFCU card to have either a potentially large SL to boost total credit or to have a card that I can grow steadily over time with softpull CLs and essentially do the same. Id like to do the middle most responsible thing aside from gardening and just apply for the CFF and call it there for a bit, but Im wondering if a spree (CFF and 1 other max) is definitely a bad idea? Overall though Im truly just looking for suggestions and to see what others believe is my best next move!

Current Scores: EX-737  EQ-738  TU-736

AoOA: 7 years 

AAoA: 2 years 4 months

Cards: 

Amazon Prime - 1.5k (01/2020)

Cap1 Quicksilver - 3.5k (09/2020)

Amex BCP - 7.9k (05/2021)

Citi CC - 3.2k (08/2021) [Used for Dining]

Utilization: 8%

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move

Maybe CFF then a Navy card to finish things off? They are definitely a contender for solid starting limits as well as soft pull CLIs. If I were in your shoes that's the route I'd take.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

you think Id be safe to apply for both at once? or are you just saying those 2 in that order?

Message 3 of 17
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

In that order, I'd make sure that you're approved for the CFF before pulling the trigger on NFCU just in case Chase notices the hard pull and gets suspicious. Then go for the Navy. Based on the data you provided you should be fine to apply for both, providing your income supports it.

Message 4 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Been a spectator on here for a bit, and I've been inspired (not sure if in the right or wrong direction...lol) towards applying for several different cards. I've been looking at applying for the Chase Freedom Flex as Im 4/24 and I think that should be my next move regardless. I've also been looking at an NFCU card, the Discover IT, a 2% back card (Wells Fargo Active Cash, Citi DC specifically), and sooomewhere down the line Id like an Apple Card (purely for Apple product financing). Ive had a Chase Checking account for about 5 months and I am also a NFCU member for a month or so, and Id like to start taking advantage to strengthen relationships with these 2 lenders. Id only truly want a Discover IT or NFCU card to have either a potentially large SL to boost total credit or to have a card that I can grow steadily over time with softpull CLs and essentially do the same. Id like to do the middle most responsible thing aside from gardening and just apply for the CFF and call it there for a bit, but Im wondering if a spree (CFF and 1 other max) is definitely a bad idea? Overall though Im truly just looking for suggestions and to see what others believe is my best next move!

Cards: 

You mentioned your AoOA is 7 years, but the cards listed above don't add up to that age. Do you have other tradelines like an installment, auto or mortgage that anchors those 7 years?

As far as CFF, even if you're under 5/24, it may still be 50/50 since it appears you've recently opened 2 cards in the past ~6 months.  You can definitely try and see what it yields for you and report back. 

NFCU more thank likely should be ok, but if anything, apply for CFF first.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have student loans that I began taking in 2014, so that's my oldest account, along with a car loan that has closed (paid) from later that year. I planned on waiting until December for my 2/6 to fall to 1/6, you think that gives me a better shot at the CFF? 

Message 6 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I have student loans that I began taking in 2014, so that's my oldest account, along with a car loan that has closed (paid) from later that year. I planned on waiting until December for my 2/6 to fall to 1/6, you think that gives me a better shot at the CFF? 

Yes and sort of no. Yes, because you are increasing the length of time between the last time you applied which is always good. Sort of no because Chase will more than likely soft pull your reports for the next few months assuming you are approved and if you plan to app for the NFCU card as well it's going to be tricky to say how Chase will react to that. My thinking is if you don't do anything else and let the new cards/HPs age then you should be fine. Only real way to know is to app and find out but definitely do the CFF app first

Message 7 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cards: 

Well you've added a good number of accounts in a short time, so I wouldn't rush into it. Especially since you want your next card to be a Chase card.

Since you have a checking account with Chase it's easy to see if you're prequalified or not for the CFF.  Just check the "Just for You" offers. If you are, then go for it.  If not, sit tight.  Be prepared for a double pull, btw; Chase frequently pulls 2 bureaus.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could just applying for 1 (or 2) of my alternative cards and waiting until I'm under 5/24 in October be a better move? I sound impatient lol if I should TRULY garden I will, I'd just like to have another card to grow passively over time before I do go into the garden 🪴 

Message 9 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Could just applying for 1 (or 2) of my alternative cards and waiting until I'm under 5/24 in October be a better move? I sound impatient lol if I should TRULY garden I will, I'd just like to have another card to grow passively over time before I do go into the garden 🪴 

The decision is entirely up to you.

If you add another card, then that would put your count at 4/24.  If you're on the fence trying to decide which of the following CCs to apply for (e.g. NFCU, Discover IT, Wells Fargo Active Cash, Citi DC), I would prioritize where you have a gap rewards-wise (i.e. SUB + cashback) as it appears you have some bases covered with the cards you currently have, but this also depends on your spending habits.

You'd have to do some math to avoid any overlap and see what makes sense now vs when you decide to apply for Freedom FLEX.  If it were me, I would garden for better odds on getting the FLEX down the road.  The issue is, you won't know how anything  you do today would impact their decision (all done by AI and algorithms).  So, you can take a risk or hold off.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.